Marlins beat Arizona to snap eight-game slideJun 11, 2011 - 4:13 AM
John Buck also homered and Emilio Bonifacio added two doubles for the victors.
Anibal Sanchez (6-1) tossed 6 2/3 innings to pick up his sixth win of the year for Florida, giving up only three runs on five hits while fanning eight Diamondbacks and walking none.
"We hit a lot of balls hard that could have fallen the last few games, so I knew we were coming around," Buck said of the Marlins' offense. "It's definitely good to put together some hits to get the 'W.'"
Xavier Nady and Miguel Montero smacked homers, while Stephen Drew chipped in with an RBI-single for Arizona, which has lost six of its last 10 games.
Joe Saunders (3-6) pitched six innings in defeat, surrendering five runs on 10 hits while striking out three and walking one.
"We had a chance to win today," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "I feel like we're coming around with our bats."
Steve Cishek tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his first Major League save.
The Marlins jumped out in front and stayed there with two runs in their first at-bat. Bonifacio led off with a double down the left field line and Morrison brought him home when he sent a Saunders offering into the seats in right field for his eighth home run of the season, giving Florida a 2-0 lead.
Florida threatened in the fifth when Osvaldo Martinez singled and Bonafacio worked a walk to give the Marlins two runners on with only one out. Omar Infante dunked a ball between short and center to load the bases with one out. Saunders battled back and induced a 4-6-3 double-play from Morrison to end the inning.
The Marlins extended their lead in the sixth on back-to-back home runs by Stanton and Buck to push Florida's lead to a comfortable 5-0 margin.
Arizona mounted a furious rally in the seventh. Justin Upton laced a one-out triple down the right field line and was brought home on a single to center by Drew. After a Chris Young fly-out, Montero followed with his seventh home run of the season to cut Florida's lead to 5-3 and chase Sanchez from the game. Michael Dunn entered the game for the Marlins and immediately gave up a home run to pinch-hitter Nady, his second of the year, to make it a one-run game.
The Marlins countered and added a run to their lead in their half of the seventh on an RBI single by Buck.
The D-Backs had a chance to cut into the lead in the eighth after Ryan Roberts led off the inning with a triple, but he was stranded at third following three consecutive strikeouts by Marlins pitching to keep the deficit at two for Arizona.
Prior to Friday's game, Arizona selected the contract of pitcher Brian Shaw and optioned pitcher Zach Kroenke. Shaw tossed a scoreless eighth inning for the D-Backs...The Marlins own a 15-19 mark at home this season...Florida is 10-6 against NL West competition, while Arizona is 8-7 against NL East opponents...The Marlins won their first game in the month of June... The season series is tied at two games apiece...Bonafacio has eight doubles this season...Florida is 20-10 when scoring first this season...Buck extended his hitting streak to five games.
- ARIZONA: 4
Jun 10 10:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs flied out to left to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Marlins 6 End 7Jun 10 9:21 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Nady two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Marlins 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 9:04 PM
- Miguel Montero two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scored Stephen Drew. Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Marlins 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 9:00 PM
- Stephen Drew singled to right scored Justin Upton.. Runner on first with one out and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 5 Top 7, 1 OutJun 10 8:54 PM
- John Buck lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Wes Helms due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Marlins 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 10 8:41 PM
- Mike Stanton none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Gaby Sanchez. John Buck due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 10 8:40 PM
- Logan Morrison one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Emilio Bonifacio. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 10 7:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21