Montero leads Diamondbacks over MarlinsJun 14, 2011 - 5:52 AM
Juan Miranda added three RBI and Justin Upton knocked in a pair for the Diamondbacks, who closed the series with three consecutive wins.
"It was a good way to finish [the series]. It's nice to see us swing the bats," Upton said.
Arizona tagged Ricky Nolasco (4-2) for nine runs -- five earned -- on eight hits and four walks, chasing him after just three innings.
Duke didn't fair much better, allowing seven runs on 13 hits and a walk while striking out four in just 4 2/3 innings.
Micah Owings (3-0) spelled Duke and worked 2 1/3 scoreless innings, while J.J. Putz threw a perfect ninth to earn his 18th save of the season.
Omar Infante, Mike Stanton and John Buck each had two RBI for the Marlins, who rallied from a 9-0 deficit only to fall short. They have now lost 11 of 12.
Arizona got on the board early, pushing four across in the first behind an Upton RBI single and a Montero bases-clearing, three-run double to right- center.
The lead ballooned to 9-0 in the third. With Stephen Drew and Chris Young aboard, Montero struck again, doubling off the left field wall to score Drew and move Young to third. A Miranda groundout brought home Young and two batters later, Duke ripped the second home run of the season and his career over the right field wall. The hits kept coming, as Ryan Roberts followed with a single to left and later scored on an Upton single to center.
Nolasco helped himself with a one-out double in the third. After an Emilio Bonifacio single, both runners crossed the plate courtesy of an Infante double. A Logan Morrison groundout moved Infante to third and Stanton drove him home two batters later.
Burke Badenhop spelled Nolasco to begin the fourth, but he did not fair much better, surrendering a leadoff walk to Young, a double to Montero and a single to Miranda, which scored both Young and Montero. A Roberts single brought home Miranda, giving the Diamondbacks a 12-3 lead.
Badenhop, like Nolasco, helped himself in the fourth with a two-out double and scored on Bonifacio's double to left.
The Marlins continued to chip away in the fifth, pushing three across with a Stanton RBI double, and run scoring singles by Wes Helms and pinch-hitter Osvaldo Martinez.
In the seventh, Florida loaded the bases with no outs, but Owings was able to induce Chris Coghlan into a 1-2-3 double play and Brett Hayes into a fly out to end the inning unscathed.
The Marlins again loaded the bases in the eighth, this time pushing two across on a Buck grounder up the middle, which scored Bonifacio and Infante.
"It was good to see that from the offense. We came back and battled a little bit," Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said.
The Diamondbacks are now just a half-game behind NL West leading San Francisco. The two clubs begin a three-game set from Arizona on Tuesday...Entering the game, the Diamondbacks' .588 slugging percentage against the Marlins this season was their highest against any opponent...The Marlins have allowed 26 runs over the final three games of the series...Duke joined Andy Benes, Owings and Dan Haren as Diamondbacks pitchers with multiple home runs.
- ARIZONA: 12
Jun 13 11:03 PM
- John Buck singled to center scored Emilio Bonifacio and Omar Infante. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Wes Helms due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 13 10:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Osvaldo Martinez singled to left scored Mike Stanton. On the play, Wes Helms advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 13 9:33 PM
- Wes Helms singled to right scored Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Mike Stanton advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Coghlan due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 6 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 13 9:27 PM
- Mike Stanton doubled to left scored Logan Morrison. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and John Buck due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 13 9:22 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio doubled to left scored Burke Badenhop. Runner on second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 13 9:06 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to center scored Juan Miranda. Runner on first with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 12, Marlins 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:55 PM
- Juan Miranda singled to center scored Chris Young and Miguel Montero. Runner on second with none out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 11, Marlins 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 13 8:50 PM
- Mike Stanton singled to center scored Omar Infante. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and John Buck due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 13 8:39 PM
- Omar Infante doubled to center scored Ricky Nolasco and Emilio Bonifacio. Runner on second with one out and Logan Morrison due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 13 8:34 PM
- Justin Upton singled to center scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Kelly Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 13 8:22 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 13 8:14 PM
- Juan Miranda grounded out to first scored Chris Young. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 13 8:11 PM
- Miguel Montero doubled to left scored Stephen Drew. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Marlins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 13 8:09 PM
- Miguel Montero doubled to center scored Kelly Johnson, Justin Upton and Stephen Drew. Runner on second with one out and Juan Miranda due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 13 7:40 PM
- Justin Upton singled to left scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Kelly Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Stephen Drew due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 13 7:34 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 7:26 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21