Jackson, Sizemore homer as A's handle D-BacksJul 4, 2011 - 4:06 AM
Gonzalez (8-5) allowed one run on five hits and three walks while fanning seven on the day he found out he made his first All-Star team. He also tossed a career-high 119 pitches as the Athletics improved to 3-3 on a nine-game homestand.
"There was a lot more going through his head," Athletics manager Bob Melvin said of Gonzalez. "You want him to focus and not have any more distractions."
Ian Kennedy (8-3) allowed seven runs on 10 hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings in the D-Backs' sixth defeat in their last eight contests.
Arizona broke the scoreless tie in the fourth when Chris Young led off the inning with a double, advanced to third on Stephen Drew's groundout and crossed the plate on a base hit by Xavier Nady.
Oakland answered in the bottom half of the frame with two runs to take the lead. Coco Crisp laid down a bunt single and Hideki Matsui followed with a single of his own to start the inning. After a pop up and a groundout put runners on second and third with two outs, David DeJesus slapped a two-run double into the left-center field gap.
The A's then put the game away with a five-run sixth inning.
Chris Carter had a leadoff single before Jackson belted a homer that bounced off the top of the left-field fence. DeJesus then worked a walk and moved to third on a one-out single by Cliff Pennington. A Jemile Weeks sacrifice fly to center brought home DeJesus. Sizemore finished the rally and Kennedy's day when he followed with a blast inside the left-field foul pole, making it a 7-1 contest.
Michael Wuertz took over for Gonzalez in the eighth and loaded the bases without recording an out. He was then replaced by Joey Devine, who fanned Wily Mo Pena and induced a flyout to shallow center field by Nady before pinch- hitter Sean Burroughs lined a single into left field.
Justin Upton scored easily from third, but as Young was waved home, Matsui's throw was right on line and A's catcher Landon Powell placed the tag on Young's hip. Young may have been safe on the play if he decided to slide, but he instead stayed upright and even flinched as he saw the throw pass in front of him.
"We got outpitched, we got outplayed," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "We only gave up a couple home runs, but give Oakland credit, they put the bat on the ball. They out-executed us, and Gio Gonzalez is very good."
Oakland activated pitcher Brandon McCarthy from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Josh Outman to Triple-A Sacramento Sunday...Upton made the All-Star game as a reserve for the D-Backs...Crisp extended his hit streak to eight games...Despite the win, Oakland finished 8-10 in interleague play to conclude its third consecutive season with a losing interleague record...Arizona finished 10-8 against the American League.
- ARIZONA: 2
Jul 3 6:57 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Sean Burroughs singled to left scored Justin Upton. On the play, Stephen Drew advances to second and Chris Young out at home, left to catcher to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 2, Athletics 7 Mid 8Jul 3 6:47 PM
- Scott Sizemore two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Cliff Pennington. Coco Crisp due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Athletics 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 3 6:02 PM
- Jemile Weeks sacrifice fly out to center scored David DeJesus. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Sizemore due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 3 5:57 PM
- Conor Jackson none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Chris Carter. David DeJesus due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Athletics 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 3 5:51 PM
- David DeJesus doubled to left scored Coco Crisp and Hideki Matsui. Runner on second with two outs and Landon Powell due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 3 5:19 PM
- Xavier Nady singled to center scored Chris Young. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Athletics 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 3 5:06 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 4:09 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21