Brewers rock Enright, rout DiamondbacksJul 20, 2011 - 6:05 AM
The Milwaukee Brewers tagged Enright (1-4), who was recalled from the minors prior to the game, for four homers and six runs in just three innings to set the tone in an 11-3 thumping of the Arizona Diamondbacks. That included three homers in the opening frame.
Yuniesky Betancourt led the charge with two home runs and four RBI, while Corey Hart, Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks also went yard.
A beneficiary of the onslaught, Yovani Gallardo (11-6) allowed three runs -- one earned -- on four hits while striking out six in as many innings to earn the win.
Brandon Allen unleashed a mammoth homer for the Diamondbacks, who saw their three-game win streak come to an end.
On Monday, the Brewers were blanked 3-0 in the opener of this four-game series, but Enright proved the ideal elixir.
Hart began the game with a shot over the wall in left-center off Enright, who was recalled from Triple-A Reno. After Nyjer Morgan reached with a single, Braun, who has been hampered by an ailing left leg, emphatically announced his return to the lineup with a blast to left.
Enright appeared to settle, striking out Prince Fielder and inducing Weeks into a groundout, but Casey McGehee followed with a single and Betancourt launched a homer to left, giving the Brewers a comfortable 5-0 cushion.
Undaunted, the Diamondbacks pushed two across in the home half. Ryan Roberts reached on a throwing error by Betancourt, advanced to second on Stephen Drew's groundout and crossed the plate on Justin Upton's base hit up the middle. Upton moved to third on Chris Young's single and scored via Miguel Montero's sac fly.
Weeks responded in the top of the third with a solo shot to center.
"To put the ball down the middle for those guys, in that first inning especially, it's not acceptable," said Enright. "We talked about it before, location is going to be who I am. I'm not going to blow anyone away."
The Diamondbacks joined the long-ball fray courtesy of Allen's jaw-dropping shot over the foul pole in right. The impressive solo blast, estimated at 455 feet, made it a 6-3 game.
The Brewers answered again, however, scoring three runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach. Betancourt and Jonathan Lucroy led off with singles and Gallardo walked to load the bases and chase Zach Duke from the game.
Yhency Brazoban entered and walked Hart, hit Morgan and walked Carlos Gomez in succession to account for all three runs.
In the ninth, McGehee and Betancourt bookended the performance with a single and successive home run, respectively, to seal the final margin.
"Today was one of those days that everything worked out and hopefully this can show us that we can do it on the road," said Hart. "You never know with us, though. Hopefully it carries over and we get that confidence we need."
The Brewers are 19-32 on the road this season, as opposed to 33-14 at home...Entering the game, Enright's 1.82 home runs allowed per nine innings stood as the second-highest among pitchers (minimum 20 starts) since 2010...Gallardo is 5-0 in five career starts versus the Diamondbacks...Prior to Tuesday, Braun had missed 10 starts in the team's past 13 games...The Diamondbacks released pitcher Aaron Heilman on Tuesday...Betancourt notched his first career multi-home run game.
- MILWAUKEE: 11
Jul 20 12:41 AM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to left scored Casey McGehee. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 11, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 20 12:41 AM
- Carlos Gomez walked. Yovani Gallardo scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 9, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 19 11:38 PM
- Corey Hart walked. Yuniesky Betancourt scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 7, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 19 11:34 PM
- Brandon Allen lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Gerardo Parra due up.
Brewers 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 19 11:13 PM
- Rickie Weeks one-out, solo Home Run (19) to center. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 6, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 19 10:33 PM
- Chris Young picked off at first to end the inning.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 2 End 1Jul 19 10:14 PM
- Justin Upton singled to center scored Ryan Roberts. Runner on first with one out and Chris Young due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 19 10:06 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 19 9:57 PM
- Ryan Braun none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Nyjer Morgan. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 19 9:45 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 19 9:43 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 19 9:40 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21