Cook gets first win as Rockies down DiamondbacksJul 23, 2011 - 6:28 AM
Seth Smith lifted the go-ahead sacrifice fly in the seventh inning. Fowler tripled in a run the following inning and scored on an Ellis base hit, as the Rockies bounced back from a 9-6 loss to Atlanta on Thursday.
Cook (1-5) allowed eight hits and four runs through six innings to snap his career-high five-game losing streak. He also had two hits and drove in and scored a run.
"He hung right in there and obviously gave us a very credible performance against one of their better starters, which is all the more reason why this is a very, very nice game to win, obviously," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Daniel Hudson (10-6) was charged with 10 hits and five runs through 6 1/3 innings to lose for the first time since May 12. He had been 7-0 over his previous 12 starts.
"I just wasn't able to make a pitch when I needed to," Hudson said. "I really struggled out of the stretch, just couldn't get comfortable out of the stretch all night."
Geoff Blum clubbed a two-run homer for Arizona, which lost for the third time in four games.
The critical seventh inning started with Fowler doubling to right field. Hudson then hit Ellis and Todd Helton with pitches before Troy Tulowitzki's force play grounder plated the tying run. Joe Paterson entered from the bullpen, but Smith's sacrifice fly to left field moved Colorado to a 5-4 lead.
Willie Bloomquist was caught stealing second in the bottom of the inning, and the Rockies tacked on the insurance in the eighth. Fowler's triple to the right field corner scored Eric Young Jr. before Ellis' base hit to right.
Smith scored on a Ryan Spilborghs groundout in the ninth.
Blum homered with Miguel Montero on base in the second inning. Later in the frame, Bloomquist tripled to knocked in Hudson.
Colorado overcame that 3-0 deficit by scoring twice in the third and another in the fourth. Cook, Fowler and Ellis singled ahead of Helton's sacrifice fly in the third. Tulowitzki then hit an RBI double to left field.
Cook singled in Ty Wigginton in the fourth, but the Rockies failed to capitalize with two men in scoring position in the sixth when Cook grounded out.
Arizona seized the lead when Montero led off with a triple and scored three batters later on Gerardo Parra's single to left.
Arizona second baseman Kelly Johnson departed after three innings due to a sore left calf...Before the game, the Rockies placed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right wrist. To fill the vacant roster spot, the Rockies recalled Young from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- COLORADO: 8
Jul 23 12:53 AM
- Ryan Spilborghs grounded out short to first scored Seth Smith with two out. On the play, Ian Stewart advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 8, Diamondbacks 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 23 12:35 AM
- Mark Ellis singled to center scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 23 12:13 AM
- Dexter Fowler tripled to right scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. Runner on third and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 6, Diamondbacks 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 23 12:10 AM
- Sam Demel enters the game for the Diamondbacks with a runner on first and two out.
Rockies 5, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 22 11:42 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki reached on a fielder's choice, third to second scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Todd Helton out at second. Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on first and third with Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 22 11:38 PM
- Gerardo Parra singled to left scored Miguel Montero with one out. On the play, Brandon Allen advances to second. Runners on first and second with Daniel Hudson due up.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 22 11:26 PM
- Dexter Fowler flied out to center to end the inning.
Rockies 3, Diamondbacks 3 Mid 4Jul 22 10:47 PM
- Seth Smith struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Mid 3Jul 22 10:34 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly scored Aaron Cook with one out. On the play, Dexter Fowler was thrown out at third from left to third. Runner on first with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 22 10:32 PM
- Willie Bloomquist tripled to center scored Daniel Hudson with two out. Runner on third and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 22 10:20 PM
- Brandon Allen struck out swinging. None on with one out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 22 10:15 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 9:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21