Diamondbacks complete sweep of MetsAug 15, 2011 - 12:50 AM
Justin Upton added a home run and Henry Blanco went 2-for-3 with two RBI as the Diamondbacks won their sixth straight overall.
Arizona survived the loss of Jason Marquis, who suffered a fractured right fibula in the fourth inning. Zach Duke (3-4) worked 2 2/3 innings in relief of Marquis, allowing two runs on four hits to earn the win.
David Hernandez tossed a perfect ninth to record his 11th save of the season.
Chris Capuano (9-11) allowed four runs on nine hits over six innings to suffer the loss. He struck out six and did not issue a walk.
Angel Pagan had three hits and Lucas Duda went 2-for-3 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Mets, losers of five in a row.
In the third, Marquis took a Pagan line drive off his lower right leg but remained in the game.
Duda began the fourth with a homer and, two batters later, Marquis collapsed to the ground after hitting Josh Thole with on 0-2 sinker. He limped off under his own power.
"Based on what the doctor was saying, he beleives its the fibula," said Marquis. "The bone in my leg broke on the line drive I got hit with. On that last pitch to Thole, on the push off, I just felt something pop. [The doctor] said it just pretty much completed the break."
The Diamondbacks awoke in the home half. Consecutive one-out singles by Ryan Roberts and Sean Burroughs placed runners at the corners. Goldschmidt drove Roberts in with a ground-rule double to left, and Burroughs crossed the plate on Capuano's wild pitch.
The Mets jumped back on top a half-inning later. Pagan began the frame with a single and scored on Justin Turner's double. Duda followed a David Wright groundout with a run-scoring base hit up the middle.
Upton tied things up with a solo shot in the home half and consecutive two-out doubles from Goldschmidt and Blanco gave Arizona the lead an inning later.
"I made some good pitches," said Capuano regarding Upton's homer. "I threw him a couple tough breaking pitches. I tried to come back with that same pitch, front door, two-seemer inside and just didn't get it in quite as well as I did the last one."
Ryota Igarashi began the bottom of the eighth for the Mets and hit Roberts, walked Burroughs and allowed a Goldschmidt single to load the bases. Blanco followed with a walk to seal the final margin.
X-rays revealed Marquis has a broken right fibula and he is expected to miss 4-to-6 weeks. He was acquired from the Nationals on July 30...The Diamondbacks remain two games ahead of the Giants for first place in the NL West...The Diamondbacks and Mets split their six-game season series...Arizona currently leads the major leagues with 34 comeback wins this season.
- NEW YORK: 3
Aug 14 7:24 PM
- Henry Blanco walk scored Ryan Roberts with none out. Bases loaded and Bryan Shaw due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 14 7:09 PM
- Henry Blanco double to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. Runner on second and Zach Duke due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 6:16 PM
- Justin Upton two-out, solo Home Run (25) to left center. Chris Young due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 14 5:57 PM
- Jason Bay flied out to center. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 14 5:51 PM
- Justin Turner double to center scored Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on second and David Wright due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 14 5:44 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt advances to third and Sean Burroughs scored on a Chris Capuano wild pitch with one out. Runner on third and Henry Blanco at the plate.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 14 5:35 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to left scored Ryan Roberts with one out. On the play, Sean Burroughs advances to third. Runners on second and third and Henry Blanco due up.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 14 5:33 PM
- Lucas Duda lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Jason Bay due up.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 14 5:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 4:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21