Young, Saunders lead D-Backs over PadresAug 28, 2011 - 6:23 AM
Saunders (9-11) allowed one unearned run on four hits and a walk while fanning three.
Young finished 2-for-3, while Miguel Montero had a pair of hits, including a double for the Diamondbacks, who have won five straight following a six-game slide. They remain three games ahead of the Giants for first place in the NL West.
Aaron Harang (12-4) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits over six innings to suffer the loss. He struck out eight.
"Aaron pitched great," said Padres manager Bud Black. "He threw the ball well. We just got out-pitched overall."
Montero, who doubled in the first, singled to begin the fourth and Young followed two batters later with his 19th home run of the season.
In the sixth, Paul Goldschmidt doubled and Young singled to place runners at the corners. Harang attempted to pick off Young, but threw the ball away, allowing Goldschmidt to score.
"Harang throws the ball away over there like that," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "[We were] fortunate enough to get a free run out of it."
The Padres wasted a Logan Forsythe double in the top of the sixth, then scraped together their only run in the seventh. Jesus Guzman began the frame with a walk and Kyle Blanks reached on Justin Upton's error. Aaron Cunningham advanced the runners with a groundout before Will Venable scored Guzman with a single.
David Hernandez began the eighth for the Diamondbacks and allowed runners to reach first and second with one down before leaving with a right ankle contusion. Brad Ziegler entered and retired Guzman and Banks to keep the Padres off the board.
J.J. Putz tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to record his 33rd save of the season.
The Diamondbacks have tied a season-high with eight straight home wins...Saunders is 7-1 this season when lasting at least seven innings...Venable stretched his hit streak to a season-high seven games.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 27 10:38 PM
- Will Venable singled to left scored Jesus Guzman. On the play, Aaron Cunningham advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Rob Johnson due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 27 9:54 PM
- Aaron Harang's throwing error scored Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Young advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Aaron Hill at the plate.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 27 9:43 PM
- Aaron Hill flied out to right. None on with two outs and Gerardo Parra due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 27 9:11 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 8:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21