Arizona sweeps Padres; Kennedy wins 17thAug 28, 2011 - 11:44 PM
Kennedy (17-4) allowed one run on six hits while fanning seven to become the National League's first 17-game winner this season.
Collin Cowgill went 4-for-4 and belted his first major league home run while Aaron Hill hit a two-run homer, his first since being acquired by Arizona on Tuesday.
The Diamondbacks have won nine straight home games, six in a row overall and lead the Giants by four games atop the NL West.
Cory Luebke (5-7) allowed three runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings to suffer the loss. He walked three and struck out five.
Orlando Hudson hit a home run for the Padres, who have dropped four in a row.
Hudson gave the Padres a 1-0 advantage with a leadoff shot in the second, but Cowgill drew the Diamondbacks even in the bottom half, sending a two-out, 2-1 fastball into the seats in right.
In the third, Hill followed a Ryan Roberts double with a blast to left, making it a 3-1 game. It was his seventh home run of the season.
The Padres threatened in the fourth. Kyle Blanks led off with a single and, with two down, Logan Forsythe reached on Roberts' throwing error, leaving runners at the corners, but Kennedy retired Andy Parrino to escape.
Jason Bartlett doubled with two outs in the top of the fifth, but Jesus Guzman ground out to end the inning.
Bryan Shaw worked around a Bartlett single to keep the Padres off the board in the eighth before Zach Duke tossed a 1-2-3 ninth.
The Diamondbacks added insurance in the bottom of the eighth. Cowgill ripped an RBI double, Roberts walked with the bases loaded, and Hill notched an RBI single to make it a 6-1 game.
Kennedy became the first Diamondbacks pitcher to reach 17 wins since Brandon Webb had 22 in 2008...The Diamondbacks' nine straight home wins marks a season high...Hill and John McDonald were acquired from the Blue Jays on August 23 in exchange for Kelly Johnson...Cowgill has batted .200 in 23 games with the Diamondbacks this season...Parrino, who made his major league debut for the Padres on Friday, singled in the seventh to record his first career hit.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 28 7:02 PM
- Zach Duke starts the inning for the Diamondbacks.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 6 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 7:00 PM
- Ryan Roberts walk scored Miguel Montero with two out. Bases loaded and Aaron Hill due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 28 6:54 PM
- Collin Cowgill double to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on second and third with John McDonald due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 28 6:49 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Ryan Roberts. Justin Upton due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 28 4:58 PM
- Collin Cowgill two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. John McDonald due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 28 4:44 PM
- Orlando Hudson lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 28 4:32 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21