Hudson does it all as D-Backs keep streakingAug 30, 2011 - 6:33 AM
Hudson (14-9) scattered three hits, walked three and struck out eight in seven scoreless innings.
Arizona has won 10 in a row at home and moved five games ahead of the second- place San Francisco Giants.
The end of the game was far from smooth for the Diamondbacks.
Hudson departed with a five-run cushion and was relieved by Bryan Shaw, who tossed a 1-2-3 eighth. When Shaw hit Troy Tulowitzki with a pitch to begin the ninth, Joe Paterson entered from the bullpen. After Todd Helton flied out, Paterson gave up a single to pinch-hitter Ty Wigginton before another hit batsman loaded the bases.
J.J. Putz probably didn't think a save situation was a possibility at the outset of the inning. But the Diamondbacks went to their closer to calm things down. However, the right-hander's second pitch struck Chris Iannetta to score Tulowitzki. Putz recovered to earn his 34th save of the season by striking out pinch-hitter Jason Giambi and retiring Dexter Fowler on a fly ball to left field.
Alex White (0-1), who turned 23-years-old Monday, allowed five runs on seven hits and walked six over six frames for Colorado, which has dropped three of its last four games. White was one of the key return pieces in the trade that sent Ubaldo Jimenez to the Cleveland Indians.
"I felt like I had great stuff tonight. I think that's the frustrating part," White said.
Arizona's Ryan Roberts led off the bottom of the first with a home run to left field.
Colorado puts its first two batters on base in the second, as Helton walked and Seth Smith singled. Hudson struck out Iannetta swinging and got White to fly out with runners on second and third.
"I was fighting myself early on, trying to make too perfect of a pitch," Hudson said.
The Diamondbacks broke the game open in the sixth. Aaron Hill singled and Justin Upton absorbed a pitch in the middle of the back before Hill scored on Miguel Montero's base hit to right. Paul Goldschmidt contributed a run-scoring double and Gerardo Parra was intentionally walked to load the bases in front of John McDonald's run-scoring infield single. Hudson followed with a liner to left to plate Goldschmidt. Parra tried to score from second, but was tagged out in a collision at the plate.
Arizona's starters have surrendered two earned runs or fewer in each game during its current winning streak...Colorado outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, the NL player of the week, went 0-for-3 to snap his hitting streak at 15 games.
- COLORADO: 1
Aug 30 12:32 AM
- Chris Iannetta hit-by-pitch scored Troy Tulowitzki with one out. Bases loaded and Huston Street due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 30 12:29 AM
- Daniel Hudson single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. On the play, John McDonald advanced to third as Gerardo Parra was thrown out at home. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 29 11:41 PM
- John McDonald single to short scored Miguel Montero with one out. On the play, Gerardo Parra advanced to second and Paul Goldschmidt advanced to third. Bases loaded and Daniel Hudson due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 29 11:39 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to center scored Justin Upton with none out. On the play, Miguel Montero advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Young due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 29 11:35 PM
- Miguel Montero single to right scored Aaron Hill with none out. On the play, Justin Upton advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 29 11:33 PM
- Ryan Roberts lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Aaron Hill due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 29 9:51 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 9:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21