Overbay's bases-loaded walk lifts D-Backs over PadresSep 11, 2011 - 4:42 AM
Overbay and Chris Young hit back-to-back homers an inning earlier to send the game into extras.
David Hernandez (4-3) stranded two runners in the top of the 10th to earn the win for the Diamondbacks, who lead the NL West by 9 1/2 games. The second- place Giants lost 3-0 to the Dodgers on Saturday.
"It just seems like it's a different person every night," said Overbay. "We got down early. They shut us down, we got to the ninth and were able to tie it up. We got to the 10th, great at bats, and we were able to put one across."
Joe Thatcher issued the decisive walk in the home 10th after Brad Brach (0-1) allowed the Diamondbacks to load the bases.
James Darnell hit his first major league home run for the Padres, who have lost 14 of their last 16 games.
Darnell's two-run blast broke a 2-2 tie in the sixth and chased Diamondbacks starter Wade Miley. Later in the frame, Padres starter Tim Stauffer bunted home Luis Martinez from third to make it a 5-2 game.
Justin Upton singled to begin the home sixth and Geoff Blum followed Miguel Montero's double with an RBI groundout.
Heath Bell took the hill in the bottom of the ninth and Young greeted him with a homer to left. Overbay then belted a 2-1 fastball to left. The ball barely cleared the fence, resulting in a 5-5 tie.
"That doesn't make me feel good, especially the way we've been losing games," said Bell . "I go out there and blow it, hang a pitch and Overbay gets a good piece of wood on the pitch."
Hernandez allowed runners to reach first and second with two down in the top of the 10th, but popped out pinch-hitter Will Venable to escape.
Brach walked Upton, allowed a Montero single and intentionally walked Blum to load the bases in the home 10th. He fanned Young for the second out of the inning before exiting in favor of Thatcher, who walked Overbay on four pitches to push across the deciding run.
Darnell's RBI groundout and Alberto Gonzalez's sac fly gave the Padres a 2-0 lead in the second.
The Diamondbacks, winners of 15 straight home games and 16 of their last 18 overall, responded a half-inning later with consecutive RBI doubles from Young and Overbay.
The Diamondbacks' 15 straight home wins is a franchise record and marks the longest such streak in the major leagues this season...Miley allowed five runs on eight hits over five-plus innings, while Stauffer surrendered three runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings...Montero has hit safely in a career-high 18 straight games...Following the game, the Padres filed a protest with major league baseball, claiming that Montero did not touch third base on the final play. However, according to rule 4.09(b), only the batter and the runner advancing from third base must touch their respective bases on a game-ending walk.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Sep 10 11:36 PM
- Lyle Overbay walked. Justin Upton scored on the play to win the game.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 10, 2 OutsSep 10 11:35 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (9) to left. John McDonald due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 10 10:59 PM
- Chris Young lead-off Home Run (20) to left. Lyle Overbay due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 10 10:57 PM
- Chris Young walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Lyle Overbay due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 10 10:03 PM
- Tim Stauffer sacrifice bunt to first scored Luis Martinez. None on with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:54 PM
- Micah Owings enters the game for the Diamondbacks with a runner on second and none out.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 10 9:50 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to center scored Chris Young. Runner on second with one out and John McDonald due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 10 8:48 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Denorfia. Runner on first with two outs and Tim Stauffer due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 10 8:37 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 8:14 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21