Stauffer helps Padres blank D-BacksSep 17, 2011 - 6:24 AM
Stauffer (9-12) scattered four hits and struck out six batters without issuing a walk.
"I felt good early on. I had a little extra on my arm. For some reason it was coming out better than on other days," Stauffer said.
Heath Bell pitched a perfect ninth to earn his 38th save of the season
Jason Bartlett collected two hits and scored a run, while Jesus Guzman picked up an RBI single for the Padres, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Chris Young came up with two hits, including a double, and Willie Bloomquist had a double for the Diamondbacks, who have lost two straight.
Wade Miley (3-2) went six innings in defeat, giving up two runs on five hits while fanning three and walking three.
Arizona saw its lead in the NL West fall to six games as the Giants defeated the Rockies on Friday.
The Padres plated both of their runs in the first inning. Bartlett slapped a one-out single and advanced to second on a wild pitch by Miley. Guzman followed by driving home Bartlett with a single to left and a double by Nick Hundley, coupled with an error by Gerardo Parra, allowed Guzman to score from second.
"I wasn't very effective in the first inning. I got behind guys and wasn't making good pitches," Miley said.
Arizona put a runner into scoring position in the third when Bloomquist smashed a two-out double into the left field corner, but he was stranded there as Parra struck out, putting a halt to the scoring opportunity.
The Diamondbacks wasted a leadoff double by Young in the fifth as he was erased on a fielder's choice by Lyle Overbay and Ryan Roberts grounded into an inning-ending double play to keep the shutout intact.
Justin Upton beat out an infield single in the seventh and Young ripped a sharp single into left to put two runners on with two outs. Overbay grounded out to end the frame.
San Diego had a chance to add an insurance run in the seventh when Cameron Maybin worked a two-out walk and took second when Bryan Shaw threw the ball away on a pickoff attempt. Maybin would remain at second however, as Bartlett flied out to right to end the inning.
Prior to Friday's game, the Diamondbacks recalled outfielder Cole Gillespie from Triple-A Reno...Arizona leads the season series with San Diego by a 10-6 count...Padres third baseman James Darnell left the game in the seventh inning with an apparent injury to his shoulder...Arizona is 38-26 against the National League West, while San Diego is 22-42 against its own division.
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 17 12:29 AM
- Chris Denorfia flied out to center. Runner on second with two outs and Kyle Blanks due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 16 10:25 PM
- Jesus Guzman single to left scored Jason Bartlett with one out. Runner on first and Nick Hundley due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 16 10:20 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 10:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21