Braun, Wolf lift Brewers over RockiesMay 22, 2011 - 9:35 PM
Randy Wolf (4-4) hurled seven solid innings for the Brewers, who have won eight of their last 10 games. The starter allowed just one run on four hits and three walks while striking out five.
Carlos Gonzalez drove in the lone run for the Rockies, who have dropped four of their last five contests.
Ubaldo Jimenez (0-4) is still in the search for his first win of 2011 after suffering the loss for Colorado. He allowed three runs -- two earned -- in eight innings while striking out four and walking five.
"I've been a work in progress," said Jimenez, who gave up just two hits. "I took a major step today. I felt good but I still need to work on my walks."
John Axford recorded his second save in as many days, but not without a little bit of trouble.
The closer gave up a two-out walk to pinch-hitter Seth Smith. Pinch-hitter Jason Giambi represented the game-tying run but was caught swinging at a third strike to end the game. It was Axford's 12th save of the season.
"When you're not playing well your mistakes are magnified," Giambi said. "Weird things are happening. That happens when you're scuffling. You can't put your finger on it."
Dexter Fowler had a two-out triple and scored on Gonzalez's single in the third to put the Rockies on the board first.
But during the home half, Milwaukee moved in front. With runners on second and third, Braun ripped a triple into deep center. Fowler dove at the ball and tried to recover, but threw the ball wide of the cutoff man. That allowed Braun to round third and come home to make it a 3-1 game.
"It's unbelievable -- one hit produces three runs," Brewers manager Ron Reinecke said. "You get a hit and it goes in a good spot. The guy dives for it and allows you to get the third run."
The Brewers improved to 16-6 at home this season...There were just six total hits in the game -- two of them were triples and two were doubles...Despite the loss, Jimenez reduced his ERA to 5.22 from 6.14.
- COLORADO: 1
May 22 4:30 PM
- Ryan Braun tripled to center scoring Carlos Gomez and Rickie Weeks with two out. On the play, Dexter Fowler's throwing error scored Ryan Braun. None on and Prince Fielder due up.
Rockies 1, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 22 3:03 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scoring Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on first and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 22 2:48 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 2:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21