Braun's HR in 11th gives Brewers win over RockiesSep 14, 2011 - 4:54 AM
Braun led off the inning after Kameron Loe (4-7) held the Rockies off the board in the top half. He worked the count full against Matt Lindstrom (2-2) before sending the 10th pitch of the at-bat over the fence in left-center.
"You fall behind a good hitter like that and eventually you're gonna pay for it," said Lindstrom. "The ball just came back over the middle and he made me pay for it."
Prince Fielder added a homer for the Brewers, who defeated the Phillies on Sunday to halt a five-game skid. They remain 6 1/2 games ahead of the Cardinals in the NL Central.
"We didn't do much offensively, so a couple of big at-bats," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Wilin Rosario had an RBI double for the Rockies.
Loe allowed runners to reach second and third with two down in the top of the 11th, but Rosario grounded out weakly to second.
Brewers starter Zack Greinke allowed one run on five hits over five innings, while the Rockies' Esmil Rogers, who has not won since August 8, tossed six innings of one-run ball.
Both teams squandered opportunities early.
The Rockies placed runners at the corners in the first, but Mark Ellis was cut down at the plate on a Troy Tulowitzki grounder. With the bases loaded in the third, Ellis was thrown out at the plate to end the inning.
Milwaukee's Rickie Weeks was also nailed at home when he tried to score on Casey McGehee's double in the second. An inning later, Braun grounded out to strand Jonathan Lucroy at third.
Colorado took a 1-0 lead in the fourth on doubles by Seth Smith and Rosario.
Fielder was stranded after a leadoff double in the home half, but tied the game with a one-out blast to straightaway center in the sixth, his first home run since September 2.
LaTroy Hawkins, Takashi Saito and Francisco Rodriguez each tossed a scoreless inning of relief, while John Axford worked two scoreless frames for the Brewers.
Matt Belisle, Rex Brothers and Huston Street countered with scoreless innings of their own. Lindstrom held the Brewers off the board in the 10th before allowing Braun's game-winner an inning later.
"At this time of year, it doesn't matter how you look, as long as you win," said Braun.
Braun was 0-for-4 with a strikeout before his final at bat...The Brewers are 52-22 at home this season, which marks the best home record in the majors. Their 3-2 victory over Philadelphia on Sunday snapped a season-high six-game losing streak at Miller Park...The Cardinals defeated the Pirates 6-4 on Tuesday...Tulowitzki left the game with a sore left hip. He sat out Sunday's 4-1 win over Cincinnati with the same ailment.
- COLORADO: 1
Sep 14 12:02 AM
- Ryan Braun lead-off walk-off Home Run (28) to center to end the game.
Rockies 1, Brewers 2 Bot 11, 0 OutsSep 14 12:02 AM
- Prince Fielder one-out, solo Home Run (32) to center. Rickie Weeks due up.
Rockies 1, Brewers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 13 10:21 PM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to left scored Seth Smith. Runner on second with one out and Esmil Rogers due up.
Rockies 1, Brewers 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 13 9:32 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 13 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21