Morgan's hit in ninth sends Brewers over MetsJun 9, 2011 - 4:37 AM
Craig Counsell singled with one out against Dale Thayer (0-1), then swiped second as Rickie Weeks struck out swinging. Morgan followed by ripping a ball into the right-field corner to bring home Counsell with the winning run.
"Wasn't that interesting?" said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
Prince Fielder hit a pair of two-run homers for the Brewers, who rallied from a 6-2 deficit to win for the fifth time in six games.
John Axford (2-1) turned in a scoreless top of the ninth.
Ronny Paulino finished 4-for-4 with a three-run homer for the Mets, who saw their three-game win streak snapped.
The Mets appeared to take control of the game thanks to a five-run eighth inning. Jose Reyes got the rally started against Kameron Loe with a leadoff single and stole second. Justin Turner walked, then Carlos Beltran's double and Angel Pagan's single made it a 3-2 game. Pagan swiped second, then after Jason Bay fanned swinging, Paulino reached the seats in left to make it 6-2 for the visitors.
"We still like Kameron. We have confidence in him," Roenicke said of Loe's rough performance. "He's getting his sinker up in the zone. They're going to boo periods like that when he's not pitching well, and sometimes it's not going to go well."
Zach Braddock came on, and worked around a two-out double from Ruben Tejada to keep it a four-run margin.
The Brewers responded with a four-spot in the home half against a pair of Mets relievers thanks to Ryan Braun's two-run double and a two-run blast from Fielder for a 6-6 draw.
"I knew that first base was open, so I didn't want to make a mistake," said mets reliever Jason Isringhausen, who served up the game-tying blast. "I got it over the plate and the way he's swinging the bat he did what he's up there to do."
New York left a runner on second in the top of the ninth after Pagan fanned looking.
The Mets picked up a run in the fourth. Bay was hit by a pitch, and Paulino singled to put runners on the corners before a balk by Brewers starter Randy Wolf plated Bay. Wolf allowed four hits and one run with six strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings.
Milwaukee countered in the home half as Braun singled with one out and Fielder followed with a two-run shot to right center off Mets hurler Mike Pelfrey. Pelfrey lasted six frames, charged with four hits and a pair of runs.
With his 21st career multi-homer game, Fielder vaulted into third place on the Brewers' all-time home-run list with 209, surpassing Gorman Thomas...Robin Yount is first with 251 and Geoff Jenkins is second at 212...Milwaukee third baseman Casey McGehee snapped a streak of 27 hitless at-bats with a seventh- inning single...Braun finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and two runs scored...Reyes wound up 2-for-4.
- NEW YORK: 6
Jun 8 11:20 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled to right scoring Craig Counsell with two out to end the game.
Mets 6, Brewers 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 8 11:19 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (17) to left center scored Ryan Braun. Corey Hart due up.
Mets 6, Brewers 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 8 10:51 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to left center scoring Rickie Weeks and Nyjer Morgan. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Mets 6, Brewers 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 8 10:47 PM
- Willie Harris is pinch-hitting for Bobby Parnell.
Mets 6, Brewers 2 Top 8, 1 OutJun 8 10:28 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to right scoring Justin Turner. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 3, Brewers 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 8 10:22 PM
- Carlos Beltran doubled to right scoring Jose Reyes. On the play, Justin Turner advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Angel Pagan due up.
Mets 2, Brewers 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 8 10:20 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right center scored Ryan Braun. Corey Hart due up.
Mets 1, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 8 9:19 PM
- Randy Wolf's balk scored Jason Bay. Ronny Paulino advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with one out and Nick Evans at the plate.
Mets 1, Brewers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 8 9:09 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 8:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21