Brewers top Marlins, complete sweepJun 7, 2011 - 4:43 AM
Greinke (5-1) scattered seven hits and a walk while fanning six for the Brewers. Ryan Braun added two hits and an RBI while Mark Kotsay contributed two hits for the victors.
"I just try to go deep in every game and try to give the bullpen some rest," said Greinke. "We were able to get some runs tonight and it was a nice win."
Javier Vazquez (3-5) took the loss, getting charged with six runs on eight hits in just four innings for Florida, which has lost five in a row.
"Teams go through stretches like this and we just have to keep fighting," said Vazquez. "There's plenty of baseball left this season and we'll turn it around."
Logan Morrison went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Omar Infante added three hits for Florida in defeat.
The Brewers opened the scoring in their first at-bat on a Braun single that scored Rickie Weeks.
Florida tied the game in the bottom half of the first on a two-out single to left to score Infante.
Milwaukee took the lead for good in the third when Fielder deposited a Vazquez pitch deep into the right-field seats to give the Brewers a 4-1 lead.
The Marlins got a run back in the third after Chris Coughlan doubled to lead off the inning and scored on a double by Morrison.
Milwaukee added to its lead in the fourth. Yuniesky Betancourt led off with a triple to the deepest part of Sun Life Stadium, and scored on a single by Jonathan Lucroy. Greinke followed with a sacrifice bunt to move Lucroy into scoring position with only one out and a run already across the plate. After a Weeks strikeout, Nyjer Morgan singled to center to score Lucroy from second and give the Brewers a 6-2 lead.
The Brewers tacked on another run in the seventh after Braun worked a one-out walk for Milwaukee. Braun then stole second to move into scoring position and scored on a Fielder single to left to give the Brewers a commanding 7-2 lead.
Tim Dillard threw a scoreless eighth and Sergio Mitre pitched a scoreless ninth to close out the win for the Brewers.
Milwaukee went 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left five runners stranded while Florida went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position, leaving eight men stranded...Week's double was his 14th of the season...Betancourt's triple was his second of the year...Fielder's four-RBI performance gives him 49 for the season, good for the National League lead and trailing only Boston's Adrian Gonzalez for the most in baseball.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
Jun 6 10:05 PM
- Casey McGehee flied out to right to end the inning.
Brewers 7, Marlins 2 Mid 7Jun 6 9:22 PM
- Nyjer Morgan singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy, thrown out at second to end the inning.
Brewers 6, Marlins 2 Mid 4Jun 6 8:29 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt. Runner on first with none out and Zack Greinke due up.
Brewers 5, Marlins 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 6 8:22 PM
- Logan Morrison doubled to left scored Chris Coghlan. Runner on second with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 6 8:12 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, three-run Home Run (14) to right scored Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 4, Marlins 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 6 8:03 PM
- Logan Morrison singled to left scored Omar Infante. Runner on first with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Brewers 1, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 6 7:28 PM
- Prince Fielder struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 6 7:18 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21