Brewers beat Marlins on Hart's pinch hitSep 25, 2011 - 3:40 AM
Ryan Braun had an RBI double in the seventh and knocked in a total of two runs for the Brewers, who won their first division title since 1982 with a 4-1 victory in the opener of this series on Friday.
Yuniesky Betancourt hit a solo homer for Milwaukee, which got an RBI from Prince Fielder.
Brewers starter Zack Greinke gave up four runs on nine hits over five innings. He struck out six and walked five. LaTroy Hawkins (2-1) tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the win.
John Axford pitched a scoreless ninth for his 45th save of the year, which moved him past Francisco Cordero (2007) for the single-season franchise record.
"It was a nice ballgame," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "We were a little slow offensively but we scored three runs in the first four innings, and of course the big three runs in the seventh."
Emilio Bonifacio and Omar Infante homered for the Marlins, who have lost four of six.
Alex Sanabia allowed three runs on six hits over a four-inning start. Burke Badenhop (2-3) gave up two runs on three hits over two-plus frames of relief to take the loss.
Trailing by one, 4-3, the Brewers scored three runs in the seventh to take the lead. Jonathan Lucroy singled and pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston Jr. doubled to begin the frame. Badenhop was replaced on the mound by Michael Dunn. Hart's two-run double found the gap in right-center. Ryan Webb came in from the bullpen and Carlos Gomez laid down a sacrifice bunt. Braun followed with an RBI double to center for a 6-4 edge.
Takashi Saito, Hawkins and Francisco Rodriguez each pitched a scoreless inning of relief before Axford closed the door in the ninth.
Infante's solo homer to left in the first inning gave Florida an early lead. But Braun responded with an RBI triple down the right-field line in the home half to tie the game.
Fielder's RBI double to right in the third gave the Brewers a 2-1 edge.
Bonifacio hit a two-run homer to right in the fourth to put the Marlins back on top. But Betancourt tied the game in the home half with a solo homer to left.
Florida tacked on another run in the fifth to take the lead. Logan Morrison and Bryan Petersen singled and Brett Hayes walked to load the bases with two outs. Pinch-hitter John Baker also walked to force in a run, which made it 4-3.
"We've had a lot of innings this season where we just haven't got the big hit or made the big pitch," Hayes said. "We're not thinking about the new stadium or next year. We got four games to go and we want to finish strong. It's been a disappointing year because we're better than our record shows."
The Brewers swept a four-game series in Florida from June 3-6 and have won seven straight and nine of the last 10 meetings...The Marlins will finish last in the NL East for the first time since 2007.
- FLORIDA: 4
Sep 24 10:14 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to center scored Corey Hart. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 24 9:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Corey Hart doubled to right center scored Jonathan Lucroy and Jerry Hairston Jr. Runner on second with none out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 24 9:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter John Baker walked. Logan Morrison scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 24 8:39 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Marlins 3, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 24 8:23 PM
- Casey McGehee grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Taylor Green due up.
Marlins 3, Brewers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 24 8:22 PM
- Brett Hayes doubled to left. Runner on second with one out and Alex Sanabia due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 24 8:11 PM
- Ryan Braun tripled to right scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on third with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 24 7:28 PM
- Omar Infante one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 24 7:13 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21