Brewers sweep season series from MarlinsSep 26, 2011 - 12:37 AM
Ryan Braun hit a solo homer for the Brewers, who set a franchise record for most home victories in a season with 55. The 1978 team held the previous mark at 54-27.
The Brewers hold a one-game lead on Arizona in the race for the second-best record in the National League and home field advantage in the first round of the postseason. Milwaukee host the Pirates, while the NL West-champion Diamondbacks are at home against the Dodgers for a three-game set to conclude the season.
Chris Narveson (11-8) allowed four runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings to pick up the win for Milwaukee, which took all seven games from the Marlins this year to sweep the season series for the first time since their first meeting in 1998.
Emilio Bonifacio and Donnie Murphy homered for Florida, which went 41-43 on the road this year.
Ricky Nolasco (10-12) got blasted to the tune of seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits over two-plus innings.
"I just need to focus on getting better for next year," Nolasco said.
Bonifacio's blast to left-center field in the first inning gave the Marlins an early lead.
But the Brewers took the lead for good with a three-run second. Rickie Weeks singled and Jerry Hairston Jr. reached first on Matt Dominguez's fielding error to begin the frame. With one out, Kottaras, Narveson and Corey Hart hit three straight RBI singles for a 3-1 edge.
Milwaukee added four runs in the third to create some distance. Braun, Prince Fielder and Weeks started the frame with three consecutive singles to plate a run. Hairston's double plated another run. Sandy Rosario came in from the bullpen and gave up an RBI single to Yuniesky Betancourt. Kottaras' RBI fielder's choice made it 7-1.
Braun made it a seven-run game with a homer to right in the fourth. Murphy got the run back with a blast to right-center in the fifth.
"It's tough to pitch with that kind of lead," Narveson said. "You have to really focus. Sometimes games just get away from you in that type of situation."
Omar Infante's two-run double in the seventh cut the gap to 8-4. But Craig Counsell's RBI fielder's choice in the home half made it a five-run contest.
Dominguez's RBI double in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Nolasco fell to 1-2 in six career starts against the Brewers...Narveson improved to 1-2 in four career starts against the Marlins...Florida has not been swept in a season-series by a National League team since that '98 season, when they went 0-9 against Cincinnati, the Brewers and San Francisco.
- FLORIDA: 5
Sep 25 5:30 PM
- LaTroy Hawkins enters the game for the Brewers.
Marlins 5, Brewers 9 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 25 5:12 PM
- Craig Counsell grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Jerry Hairston Jr. George Kottaras out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 25 4:58 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Marlins 4, Brewers 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 25 4:49 PM
- Donnie Murphy lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Vinny Rottino due up.
Marlins 2, Brewers 8 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 25 3:46 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (33) to right. Prince Fielder due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 8 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 25 3:32 PM
- George Kottaras grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Jerry Hairston Jr. Yuniesky Betancourt out at second. Runner on first with one out and Chris Narveson due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 7 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 25 3:17 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. ground-rule doubled to center scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 25 3:11 PM
- Rickie Weeks singled to center scored Ryan Braun. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 25 3:07 PM
- Corey Hart singled to left scored George Kottaras. On the play, Chris Narveson out at third, left to third to second to third. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Kotsay due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 25 2:51 PM
- Chris Narveson singled to left scored Jerry Hairston Jr. On the play, George Kottaras advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 25 2:49 PM
- George Kottaras singled to left scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Jerry Hairston Jr. advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Narveson due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 25 2:47 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio lead-off Home Run (5) to left center. Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 25 2:12 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 2:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21