Gomez, Brewers dominate TwinsJun 26, 2011 - 2:54 AM
Prince Fielder hit a two-run home run while Ryan Braun also drove in two and extended his hitting streak to 16 games for the Brewers, who have won three of four. Yovani Gallardo (9-4) went seven innings to pick up the win as he gave up just one run on six hits with three walks and six strikeouts.
"We've had a bunch of close games so to have one like this is a relief," said Gallardo. "The game started tough for me, but after the second inning everything went good for me. Nice win out there tonight."
Ben Revere drove in the only run for the Twins, who have lost four straight. Francisco Liriano (4-7) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits in just 3 2/3 innings.
"Not a good game for us out there tonight," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "We made a couple of mistakes early on and it just snowballed from there."
Minnesota held the initial lead in the game as Revere hit a two-out single in the second to score Jason Repko, but it was all Milwaukee after that.
In the third, Jonathan Lucroy led off with a single and Gomez followed with a shot over the wall in left. Later in the inning with men on first and second, Braun hit a single to center that saw Rickie Weeks score and Corey Hart score as Revere misplayed the ball. Casey McGehee later added an RBI single for a 5-1 lead.
A Weeks sacrifice fly in the fourth inning scored Gomez for a 6-1 advantage.
In the fifth with two outs, Yuniesky Betancourt hit a fly ball to left that Delmon Young tried to track down, but he ran out of room and the ball bounced off the wall. Betancourt raced around the bases for an inside-the-park home run while Young was carted off the field with a right ankle sprain after getting his foot caught at the bottom of the wall on the play.
A sacrifice fly by Braun was followed by a two-run home run from Fielder in the sixth inning to turn it into a 10-1 lead.
Corey Hart's solo shot in the eighth accounted for the final score.
After the game, Gardenhire announced that Young has been place on the 15-day disabled list and that outfielder Rene Tosoni has been recalled from Triple-A Rochester. Tosoni was just sent down to Rochester on Friday after the team activated designated hitter Jim Thome off the 15-day disabled list. Fielder's HR was the 213th of his career, moving him past Geoff Jenkins for second all-time on the Milwaukee list. He trails only Robin Yount, who finished with 251, for the top spot...Milwaukee has won six straight against Minnesota...Gallardo improved to 6-1 over nine starts at home this season and is 2-0 in three career starts against the Twins...Liriano fell to 3-2 in five starts against the Brewers.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Jun 25 10:00 PM
- Corey Hart one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Mark Kotsay due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 11 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 25 9:50 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to left scored Corey Hart. Casey McGehee due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 10 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 25 9:14 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt two-out, solo inside-the-park-Home Run (5) to left. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 25 8:47 PM
- Corey Hart walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 25 8:30 PM
- Casey McGehee single to right scored Ryan Braun with two out. Runner on first and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 25 8:10 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Rickie Weeks with one out. On the play, Corey Hart scored on Ben Revere's fielding error. Ryan Braun advances to second. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 25 8:07 PM
- Carlos Gomez none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. Yovani Gallardo due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 25 7:55 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Jason Repko with two out. On the play, Francisco Liriano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 25 7:38 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22