Braun, Brewers down Twins to complete three-game sweepJun 27, 2011 - 2:59 AM
Yuniesky Betancourt went 3-for-4 and crossed home for the Brewers, who have won four of their last five games. Braun extended his hitting streak to 17 games.
Milwaukee starter Chris Narveson (5-5) went 6 2/3 strong innings, allowing two runs on five hits. He finished with seven strikeouts and also drove in a run.
"Everything was working for me today," Narveson said. "It was huge to come through with two outs like we did (offensively). Mine was kind of a tack-on but every run helped."
Jason Repko and Jim Thome each knocked in a run for the reeling Twins, who have dropped five straight contests.
"Ugly ballgame for us," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Defensively, we made way too many mistakes and we had other plays we didn't make that weren't called errors. That will end up killing you. We were pretty sloppy in this series."
Carl Pavano (5-6) received his first loss in five starts, surrendering five runs on eight hits over six innings.
Danny Valencia tripled to start out the second inning for the Twins. Two batters later, he scored the game's first run when Repko singled through the left side.
Lucroy followed Valencia's lead in the fifth with a leadoff triple -- his first of the season. Three batters later, Nyjer Morgan delivered a ground ball up the middle to plate Lucroy and tie the game at one.
That two-out hit extended the inning for Braun, who followed with a two-run line-drive homer that just cleared the fence in center and the home team went ahead 3-1.
Lucroy drilled a two-out double in the sixth to bring home Betancourt and came home on Narveson's double down the line to push it to a 5-1 edge.
Thome had a pinch-hit RBI single in the seventh to end Narveson's outing, but Braun would get the run back in the bottom half.
He reached second on a single and an error then stole third before Prince Fielder brought him home on a liner into right to make it at 6-2 game.
The Twins have lost seven consecutive games to the Brewers dating back to last season...The Twins have been swept seven times this season...The Brewers went 4-2 on a six-game homestand and improved to 29-11 at home this season...After the game on Saturday, Delmon Young was placed on the 15-day disabled list and outfielder Rene Tosoni was recalled from Triple-A Rochester. Young was carted off the field with a right ankle sprain after getting his foot caught at the bottom of the wall while trying to stop Betancourt's inside-the-park homer in the fifth inning.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Jun 26 4:56 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Ryan Braun with one out. Runner on first and Casey McGehee due up.
Twins 2, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 26 4:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jim Thome single to left scored Luke Hughes with two outs. On the play, Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 2, Brewers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 26 4:09 PM
- Rickie Weeks flied out to right to end the inning.
Twins 1, Brewers 5 End 6Jun 26 3:54 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt with two outs. Runner on second and Chris Narveson due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 26 3:50 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left center scored Nyjer Morgan. Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 26 3:31 PM
- Nyjer Morgan single to center scored Jonathan Lucroy with two outs. Runner on first and Ryan Braun due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 26 3:27 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka flied out to center. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 26 2:29 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 26 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22