Wood strong on mound as Reds top BrewersApr 3, 2011 - 4:44 AM
Wood (1-0) was charged with just one run on four hits with seven strikeouts to help the Reds take the second game after winning the season opener, 7-6. The Reds won Thursday with a four-run ninth inning capped on Ramon Hernandez's three-run homer.
"I was fortunate to go out and have pretty good stuff tonight, have command of most of my pitches," Wood said. "We played great defense and hit the ball."
Scott Rolen hit a two-run homer while Drew Stubbs went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
Erick Almonte's home run and Casey McGehee's RBI single accounted for all the offense for the Brewers. Shaun Marcum (0-1) was touched for four runs -- three earned -- on four hits with five walks and seven strikeouts over 4 2/3 innings.
"It was awkward," Marcum said of the five walks. "I've never walked five guys in two combined outings. It was definitely a day I wasn't locating."
Joey Votto singled with two outs in the first before Rolen homered to left.
In the second, Ryan Hanigan led off with a single and moved to second on a sac bunt from Wood before Stubbs tripled. After Brandon Phillips struck out, Votto reached base on a Rickie Weeks error for a 4-0 lead.
Wood retired the first 11 batters he faced before consecutive two-out singles from Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder in the fourth, but he got McGehee to strike out and end the inning.
Almonte led off the fifth with a shot over the left field wall to make it a 4-1 contest.
Francisco Cordero came on in the ninth and gave up a two-out, RBI single to McGehee that plated Braun, but Almonte struck out to end the game and give Cordero the save.
Cincinnati has won four straight against Milwaukee...Cincinnati will look for the sweep on Sunday as the team sends Bronson Arroyo to the hill while Randy Wolf will toss the ball for the Brewers...Almonte is playing in the majors for the first time since 2003 and hit his first home run since that year on Saturday.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
Apr 2 9:45 PM
- Erick Almonte lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 4 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 2 8:26 PM
- Joey Votto reached first on Rickie Weeks's throwing error scoring Drew Stubbs with two out. Runner on first and Scott Rolen due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 2 7:52 PM
- Drew Stubbs tripled to center scored Ryan Hanigan with one out. Runner on third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 3 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 2 7:47 PM
- Scott Rolen two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Joey Votto. Jonny Gomes due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 2 7:24 PM
- Rickie Weeks grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Apr 2 7:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21