Martin, Yankees top BrewersJun 30, 2011 - 3:07 AM
The Yankees won 12-2 in the opener of this three-game set, and on Wednesday got a strong effort from A.J. Burnett. The right-hander pitched into the eighth inning to finally win at home after three straight losses at Yankee Stadium. Burnett (8-6) allowed seven hits, two runs, walked two and fanned four batters over seven-plus frames.
Mariano Rivera pitched the final inning for his 21st save as the Yankees posted their eighth victory in their last 10 interleague games.
"We've just played really well, executed well," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Ryan Braun went 3-for-4 and extended his career-best hitting streak to 19 games with an RBI single in the opening inning, but the Brewers lost for the fifth time in their last six road games.
Shaun Marcum (7-3) suffered his first loss since May 27 against the Giants. He yielded five hits and four runs while fanning six over five innings to fall 1-5 lifetime against the Yankees.
Nyjer Morgan walked and stole second with one out in the first inning. Braun then singled to right field.
The Yankees wasted an opportunity with two men on base in the third when Alex Rodriguez struck out, but went ahead in the fourth. Robinson Cano tripled to center when Morgan went crashing into the wall. Nick Swisher followed with the tying single on a line drive to right field. After Posada singled to put men on the corners, Martin drilled an 0-2 pitch into the first row of seats over the wall in left.
"It's a great luxury because we feel we can get two- or three-run homers from anywhere in the lineup," Girardi said. "I think that's important."
The Brewers loaded the bases with one out in the sixth, but came way with just one run, as Prince Fielder's fielder's choice plated Rickie Weeks. Corey Hart then grounded into a force play to end the inning, leaving it a 4-2 game.
"Burnett's got good stuff, he's got a real live fastball," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "He's got a great curveball. When he needed to, he threw that curveball in a good spot. We did have chances, we had guys on base."
Posada stepped up to the plate against Tim Dillard with one out in the bottom of the sixth and sent a ball off the top of the right field wall. Posada was jogging around the bases thinking he had a homer when Hart fired the ball back in to nab the runner. Umpires reviewed the play and reserved the call to a home run, as the ball caromed off the top of the wall and then off a fan before coming back onto the field.
David Robertson fanned Hart to end the top of the eighth, leaving runners at the corners.
Burnett has faced Milwaukee six times and is 2-2...Following Wednesday's game, the Yankees announced they have re-acquired pitcher Sergio Mitre from Milwaukee in exchange for cash considerations. In order to make room on the roster, pitcher Buddy Carlyle was designated for assignment...The Yankees have won 10 of their last 12 home games...With Boston's loss at Philadelphia, the Yankees are now 2 1/2 games up in the AL East, their largest division lead since the close of play on May 2...Rivera made his 1,011th career appearance, breaking a tie with Roberto Hernandez for sole possession of 12th place on baseball's all-time games pitched list. He has converted 24 consecutive interleague saves...Marcum is winless in his last nine starts (0-5) against the Yankees.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
NEW YORK: 5
Jun 29 10:09 PM
- Russell Martin grounded out pitcher to first. None on with two outs and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Brewers 2, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:17 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring Rickie Weeks with two out. Ryan Braun out at second. Nyjer Morgan advances to third. Runners on first and third with Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Yankees 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:04 PM
- Russell Martin none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Nick Swisher and Jorge Posada. Eduardo Nunez due up.
Brewers 1, Yankees 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 29 8:37 PM
- Nick Swisher single to right scored Robinson Cano with none out. Runner on first and Jorge Posada due up.
Brewers 1, Yankees 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 29 8:29 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a double play, second to short to first. On the play, Ryan Braun out at second to end the inning.
Brewers 1, Yankees 0 Mid 1Jun 29 7:20 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:09 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21