Sabathia powers Yanks to sweep of BrewersJul 1, 2011 - 12:56 AM
Sabathia (11-4) was dominant through 7 2/3 innings, scattering six hits and issuing just two walks.
"I was just trying to go out and make pitches and have quick innings," Sabathia said.
Teixeira led off the third with his major league-leading 25th home run and Robinson Cano added a two-run double for the Yankees, who have won five straight and nine of 11.
Randy Wolf (6-5) allowed four runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out three, then complimented the opposing starter.
"[Sabathia's] a monster out there. He throws a 95 mph fastball, great changeup and a sharp slider," said Wolf. "He definitely works hard and puts that ability on the field."
Ryan Braun extended his hit streak to 20 games thanks to a 3-for-3 day at the plate.
Sabathia struck out the side to begin the game, but his counterpart Wolf did not fair as well.
Wolf issued consecutive walks to Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher, who promptly executed a double steal during Teixeira's at bat. After Teixeira went down swinging, Cano sliced a double into left-center to plate Gardner and Swisher.
Poised to respond, the Brewers brought Prince Fielder to dish with two-down and the bases loaded in the third, but Sabathia struck out the slugger on three pitches to end the threat.
Teixeira began the third with a deep blast to left to give the Yankees a 3-0 lead.
Later in the frame, Francisco Cervelli looped a ball into right to score Cano from third, who reached base when he was hit by a pitch.
Cervelli recorded his second RBI of the game with a two-out single up the middle in the eighth, which plated Chris Dickerson.
Prince Fielder finished the game 0-for-4 with three strikeouts, although he narrowly missed connecting on a pair of two-run homers.
With Ryan Braun aboard in the sixth, Fielder lifted a 1-1 offering from Sabathia to the base of the wall in left, but Andruw Jones settled under the ball to record the out.
"I was just trying to put it on spots where he couldn't do too much damage." Sabathia said of Fielder.
In the eighth, with Braun once again on base, Fielder blasted the second pitch from reliever Boone Logan deep to right. The ball hooked outside the foul pole, however, and Fielder eventually went down on strikes.
Derek Jeter is set to begin a rehab assignment in Trenton this weekend and will likely return to the majors from his calf injury next week in Cleveland...The Yankees are 11-4 in interleague play this season and have recorded a winning record in interleague play in 12 consecutive seasons...The Yankees are a major league-best 23-4 in day games this season.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
NEW YORK: 5
Jun 30 3:46 PM
- Francisco Cervelli singled to center scoring Chris Dickerson. Runner on first with two outs and Ramiro Pena due up.
Brewers 0, Yankees 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 30 3:38 PM
- Francisco Cervelli singled to right scoring Robinson Cano. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ramiro Pena due up.
Brewers 0, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 2:16 PM
- Mark Teixeira lead-off Home Run (25) to left. Robinson Cano due up.
Brewers 0, Yankees 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 30 2:07 PM
- Robinson Cano doubled to left scoring Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher. Runner on second with one out and Jorge Posada due up.
Brewers 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 30 1:30 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 1:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21