Hanigan, Reds complete sweep of BrewersApr 3, 2011 - 11:43 PM
Hanigan hit a three-run and a solo homer, while Brandon Phillips added three hits, including a three-run shot for Cincinnati, which resumes its season- opening six-game homestand on Tuesday against Houston.
Jonny Gomes chipped in with a 2-for-4 effort at the plate, including a solo homer in the win. The Reds started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2005.
"When we're swinging the bats like we swung them today it's a beautiful thing," Phillips said. "We're very entertaining."
Bronson Arroyo (1-0) went seven strong innings, yielding three runs on six hits with five strikeouts. He also went 1-for-2 with a double. The 34-year-old right-hander went 17-10 with a 3.88 earned run average in 33 starts over 215 2/3 innings last season.
Rickie Weeks had a solo homer and RBI double, while Ryan Braun also went yard for the Brewers, who head home to face Atlanta for the start of a four-game series on Monday.
Randy Wolf (0-1) was touched for six runs on 10 hits and two walks in four innings of work. He finished with five strikeouts. The lefty posted a 13-12 record to go with a 4.17 ERA in 34 starts in 2010.
Weeks opened the game with solo homer to left, the second time in the series he as accomplished the feat. He also hit a leadoff shot on Thursday.
However, Gomes' one-out blast to left-center in the second tied things. Then later in the inning, with runners on first and second and still only one out, Paul Janish slapped a run-scoring single to right. Phillips struck out swinging with the bases loaded to end the inning.
Milwaukee pulled even at 2-2 on Weeks' RBI double in the third, but the Reds responded with a four-sport in the fourth.
With runners on second and third, and two down, Drew Stubbs' infield single plated one and Phillips followed with a towering three-run homer to left for a 6-2 game.
Hanigan launched a slider into the left-field seats in the fifth, but Braun hammered a solo shot to left-center in the sixth.
Scott Rolen's sacrifice fly and a three-run blast by Hanigan put the Reds up by a comfortable 11-3 margin in the sixth. Miguel Cairo added a pinch-hit, run-scoring single in the seventh.
Logan Ondrusek threw a scoreless eighth inning and Aroldis Chapman came in and worked a perfect ninth to end the game.
"When [the Reds] are locked in for three games, you can get beat," Brewers manager Ron Reonicke said. "If we aren't on top of our game against a club like this, then they're going to beat us."
The Reds were 11-3 against the Brewers last season, going 7-1 against them in Cincinnati...Arroyo improved to 10-7 in 22 career appearances against Milwaukee...Despite taking the loss, Wolf is still a respectable 10-4 in 21 games versus Cincinnati.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Apr 3 4:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Miguel Cairo singled to center scoring Chris Heisey. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jonny Gomes due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 3 3:35 PM
- Nyjer Morgan pinch-hitting for Mitch Stetter.
Brewers 3, Reds 11 Top 7, 1 OutApr 3 3:18 PM
- Scott Rolen sacrifice fly out to center scored Brandon Phillips. Runner on second with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 8 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 3 3:03 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 7 Top 6, 1 OutApr 3 2:48 PM
- Ryan Hanigan one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Paul Janish due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 7 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 3 2:38 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Paul Janish and Drew Stubbs. Joey Votto due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 3 2:19 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to third scoring Ryan Hanigan. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 3 2:18 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to left center scoring Randy Wolf. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 3 1:50 PM
- Drew Stubbs walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 3 1:42 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Jay Bruce due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 3 1:33 PM
- Rickie Weeks lead-off Home Run (2) to left center. Carlos Gomez due up.
Apr 3 1:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21