Greinke wins home debut as Brewers hold off PadresMay 10, 2011 - 4:48 AM
Weeks went 2-for-4 with a solo homer for the Brewers, who had lost eight of nine coming into Monday's game. Jonathan Lucroy went 2-for-3 with an RBI and run scored.
Greinke (1-1) gave up two runs on five hits over six innings to pick up his first win in a Brewers uniform. The former Cy Young Award winner also struck out nine. Acquired from the Royals last December, Greinke made his Milwaukee debut last Wednesday at Atlanta, giving up five runs -- four earned -- on five hits with six strikeouts in an 8-0 loss.
"He was really throwing his fastball well along with his breaking stuff and changeup," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Greinke.
Jason Bartlett and Chase Headley each drove in a run for the Padres, who started an eight-game road trip on Monday.
Mat Latos (0-5) continued his struggles on the mound, allowing four runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 frames. Latos hasn't won since September 7, 2010.
"I was fighting to get everything over," Latos said. "I don't know what to say. No excuses."
The Brewers got on the board in the first inning. Carlos Gomez hit a one-out triple off the wall in left and scored three batters later on a wild pitch.
Milwaukee tacked on another run in the second for a 2-0 lead. Lucroy and Greinke hit consecutive one-out singles. Weeks followed with an RBI single to left.
The Padres finally got to Greinke in the fourth. Bartlett led off with a single and crossed the plate on Headley's double to right.
Weeks led off the fifth with a homer to center to make it 3-1.
But San Diego got the run back in the sixth. Will Venable led off with a triple and scored on Bartlett's base hit to right.
Lucroy pushed Milwaukee's margin to 4-2 with an RBI double in the home sixth.
The Brewers maintained their lead in the eighth because of some great defense. With men on the corners and nobody out, Bartlett hit a sharp grounder through the middle of the infield. But shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt made one of the best defensive plays of the year. The ball found the glove of Betancourt, who made a backhand flip with his glove to second baseman Weeks for the first out. Weeks quickly fired to first for an amazing double play. A run did score in the process, cutting the gap to 4-3.
John Axford worked around a one-out single in the ninth for his sixth save of the season.
San Diego won four of seven over the Brewers last year, but dropped two of three at Miller Park...Greinke suffered a cracked rib in a pickup basketball game at the start of Spring Training...Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder and Headley both turned 27 on Monday...Brewers utility man Erick Almonte, the first player to be placed on baseball's new seven-day disabled list for concussions, was cleared to resume physical activity on Monday.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
May 9 10:41 PM
- Jason Bartlett grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Chris Denorfia. Will Venable out at second. None on with two outs and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 3, Brewers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 9 10:21 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy doubled to right scored Corey Hart. Runner on second with two outs and Zack Greinke due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 9 9:58 PM
- Jason Bartlett singled to right scored Will Venable. Runner on first with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 9 9:42 PM
- Rickie Weeks lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Carlos Gomez due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 9 9:34 PM
- Chase Headley doubled to right scored Jason Bartlett.. Runner on second with one out and Brad Hawpe due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 9 9:13 PM
- Rickie Weeks singled to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Zack Greinke advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 9 8:51 PM
- Casey McGehee walked. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 9 8:26 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22