Brewers beat Padres againMay 11, 2011 - 4:02 AM
Casey McGehee went 2-for-4 with two runs batted in and a run scored for the Brewers, who have won two straight games for the first time since April 18-19. Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks and Corey Hart each drove in a run.
Shaun Marcum (4-1) gave up five runs on nine hits over six-plus innings to pick up the win. He also struck out eight.
Kyle Phillips went 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Padres, who lost 4-3 in the opener of this series on Monday. Alberto Gonzalez, Jason Bartlett and Will Venable each knocked in a run.
Clayton Richard (1-4) allowed eight runs -- seven earned -- on 10 hits over 3 1/3 frames to suffer the loss.
"It was a great baseball game," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We just came up a little bit short again. We had a lot of great at-bats."
The Brewers got to Richard in the second inning. Prince Fielder, McGehee and Yuniesky Betancourt each singled to load the bases with nobody out. Hart kept it going with an RBI base hit to left. Lucroy followed with a two-run single to left for a 3-0 lead.
Milwaukee tacked on three more runs in the third. Carlos Gomez hit a bloop double down the left field line and crossed the plate on Braun's base hit. After Fielder walked, the runners moved up a base on a wild pitch. McGehee followed with a two-run single down the right field line for a 6-0 margin.
The home team kept pouring on the runs in the fourth. Hart reached first on shortstop Bartlett's throwing error and scored on Lucroy's double to left- center field. Lucroy crossed the plate on Weeks' base hit for an 8-0 lead.
Marcum retired 14 straight batters before Phillips led off the sixth with a double. Gonzalez followed with an infield single to put men on the corners. Three batters later, Bartlett hit an RBI single to center.
San Diego made things a bit interesting by scoring four times in the seventh. Chase Headley, Brad Hawpe and Cameron Maybin each singled to load the bases with nobody out. Phillips followed with a two-run base hit to right. Gonzalez then hit a run-scoring single to left.
"The offense bailed me out tonight," Marcum said. "My command was on early but it got away from me in the seventh."
Marco Estrada took over on the mound for Marcum and got pinch-hitter Chris Denorfia to ground into a double play. Estrada's wild pitch plated Phillips to cut the gap to 8-5.
San Diego put men on first and second with two outs in the eighth. Kameron Loe fanned Maybin to end the inning.
John Axford picked up his seventh save despite giving up an unearned run on two hits in the ninth.
San Diego won four of seven over the Brewers last year, but dropped two of three at Miller Park...Richard fell to 2-1 lifetime against Milwaukee...The Padres went 6-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
May 10 11:05 PM
- Will Venable singled to right scored Alberto Gonzalez.. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 8 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 10 11:00 PM
- Wild Pitch by Marco Estrada Scores Kyle Phillips. None on with two outs and Will Venable at the plate.
Padres 5, Brewers 8 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 10 10:12 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez singled to left scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Kyle Phillips advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Cory Luebke due up.
Padres 4, Brewers 8 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 10 10:03 PM
- Kyle Phillips singled to right scored Chase Headley and Brad Hawpe. On the play, Cameron Maybin advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Alberto Gonzalez due up.
Padres 3, Brewers 8 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 10 10:01 PM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Padres 1, Brewers 8 Mid 6May 10 9:41 PM
- Rickie Weeks singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 8 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:09 PM
- Casey McGehee singled to right scored Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Runner on first with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 6 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:54 PM
- Ryan Braun singled to left scored Carlos Gomez. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:49 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to left scored Casey McGehee and Yuniesky Betancourt. On the play, Corey Hart out at third. John Lucroy out at second. Left fielder to third to short to third to second. None on with two outs and Shaun Marcum due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 10 8:42 PM
- Corey Hart singled to left scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt advances to second and Casey McGehee advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Padres 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 10 8:34 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22