Kotsay, Brewers down PadresMay 19, 2011 - 7:22 AM
Prince Fielder went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored while Corey Hart added three hits and a run scored for the Brewers, who have won five of six.
Yovani Gallardo (5-2) won his third straight start as he went six innings and gave up two runs on five hits with three walks and nine strikeouts.
"I was aggressive. I threw a lot of fastballs," said Gallardo.
Ryan Ludwick's two-run home run accounted for the runs for the Padres, who have dropped their past two.
"Any time you lose ball games, there's a concern. We want to win," said Ludwick. "Obviously tonight, it didn't happen. But we didn't play a bad game."
Dustin Moseley (1-6) dropped his third straight as he was touched for three runs -- two earned -- on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings.
The game was scoreless till the fourth when Kotsay singled home Fielder to give the Brewers the lead, but the Padres went ahead in the bottom of the frame as Brad Hawpe led off with a single and Ludwick followed with a shot over the wall in left for a 2-1 lead.
Milwaukee went ahead in the sixth. Fielder hit a one-out double and came home when Kotsay later doubled. After Yuniesky Betancourt was issued an intentional walk to load the bases, Ernesto Frieri took the mound and hit Jonathan Lucroy with a pitch to give Milwaukee a 3-2 lead.
The seventh saw the Brewers take a 5-2 lead. Hart led off with a triple and Braun followed with a double. Fielder then singled home Braun for a three-run lead.
John Axford came on to close the game and got the first out, but then gave up consecutive singles to Chris Denorfia and Jason Bartlett. Axford then struck out Chase Headley and Brad Hawpe to pick up his 10th save of the season.
The Brewers took two of three from the Padres in Milwaukee earlier in May...San Diego went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base...Chris Narveson pitches for Milwaukee on Thursday while Aaron Harang will go for San Diego.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
SAN DIEGO: 2
May 19 1:19 AM
- Prince Fielder singled to center scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with none out and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 5, Padres 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 19 12:21 AM
- Ryan Braun doubled to left scored Corey Hart. Runner on second with none out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 4, Padres 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 19 12:17 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy was hit-by-pitch Casey McGehee scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Yovani Gallardo due up.
Brewers 3, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 18 11:59 PM
- Ernesto Frieri enters the game for the Padres with the bases loaded and one out, batting 9th.
Brewers 2, Padres 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 18 11:54 PM
- Ryan Ludwick none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Brad Hawpe. Eric Patterson due up.
Brewers 1, Padres 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 18 11:13 PM
- Mark Kotsay singled to left scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Casey McGehee advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 1, Padres 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 18 11:06 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 10:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22