Bruce stays hot as Reds down BrewersMay 31, 2011 - 4:32 AM
Paul Janish chipped in with two hits and an RBI for the Reds, who snapped a two-game losing streak. Jonny Gomes knocked in a run and scored once.
Travis Wood (4-3) threw six strong innings to pick up the win, giving up three runs on seven hits while striking out two and walking none.
Carlos Gomez and Josh Wilson homered for the Brewers, and Prince Fielder added three hits as Milwaukee had their two-game win streak halted.
Chris Narveson (2-4) went only four innings in defeat, giving up five runs on five hits. He walked two and fanned seven.
"We just have to stay away from that one big inning." Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I don't know what it is -- what happens to him when we get people on base and they have those big innings, but he's (Narveson) is going to have to figure out how to make pitches when he needs to. That's the difference between him crusing through games and him all of a sudden having a really bad inning."
Cincinnati struck first in the second inning. Bruce led off with a triple to right, and Gomes followed with a sacrifice fly to left to score Bruce.
The Reds exploded for four runs in the fourth. Joey Votto led off with a walk and Scott Rolen followed with a single to center to set the Reds up with men on first and second and no outs. Bruce followed by belting Narveson's pitch over the right field wall. The inning continued after Bruce's blast when Gomes came up and ripped a double to left. After Ryan Hanigan struck out, Janish roped a single to center to score Gomes.
"If you don't swing at the pitches they are trying to get you to chase, you're going to have a much easier time up there." Bruce said.
Milwaukee cut the lead to two in the fifth. Gomez and Wilson, as a pinch- hitter, went back-to-back to make it a 5-2 game. After Corey Hart singled to center, Ryan Braun followed with a double to center to score pinch-runner Nyjer Morgan. Fielder flew out to left to end the inning for Milwaukee.
The Reds put together a two-out two-run rally in the sixth. After Hanigan and Janish singled to give the Reds runners on first and second, pinch-hitter Fred Lewis came up and chopped one back up the middle to score Hanigan. Janish then scored on a throwing error by Jonathan Lucroy to push Cincinnati's lead to four. Brandon Phillips bounced out to second to end the inning for the Reds.
The Brewers countered with a threat in the seventh. After Gomez popped out, pinch-hitter Craig Counsell singled to left and advanced to second on a balk by Jose Arredondo. Rickie Weeks walked before Morgan grounded into a double- play to end the threat for Milwaukee.
Francisco Cordero pitched a scoreless ninth to close out the game for the Reds.
Monday marked the first game of a seven-game road trip for Milwaukee...The Brewers concluded play on Monday with an 8-18 record on the road this season...Milwaukee is 10-9 in the opening game of a series this year...Monday marked the opener of a nine-game homestand for the Reds...Hart was removed for a pinch runner in the fifth inning, and was replaced in right field by Morgan...Wood's six-inning performance gives him five quality starts during the month of May...Bruce overtook Fielder and the Phillies' Ryan Howard for National League supremacy in RBI with 43...Drew Stubbs entered the game in the eighth as a defensive replacement with Chris Heisey moving from center to left field...Bruce has hit 12 home runs during the month of May, two shy of a Reds' franchise record for home runs in a month.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
May 30 10:00 PM
- Chris Heisey was hit-by-pitch. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 9:14 PM
- Ryan Braun double to right scored Nyjer Morgan with two out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 30 8:46 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Wilson one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 5 Top 5, 1 OutMay 30 8:37 PM
- Josh Wilson is pinch-hitting for Chris Narveson.
Brewers 1, Reds 5 Top 5, 1 OutMay 30 8:36 PM
- Paul Janish single to center scored Jonny Gomes with one out. Runner on first and Travis Wood due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 5 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 30 8:26 PM
- Jay Bruce none-out, three-run Home Run (16) to right scored Joey Votto and Scott Rolen. Jonny Gomes due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 30 8:20 PM
- Jonny Gomes sacrifice fly to left scored Jay Bruce with one out. None on and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 30 7:41 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21