Brewers rout Cardinals; La Russa manages 5,000th gameJun 11, 2011 - 4:24 AM
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa managed the 5,000th game in his career on Friday, joining Connie Mack as the only managers/coaches in American professional sports to reach that milestone. La Russa's all-time record stands at 2,676-2,320 with four tie games.
Narveson (3-4) gave up six hits to go with six strikeouts and one walk for the Brewers, who have won six of their last eight games.
"I was able to command the strike zone and get outs," Narveson said. "You always need an outing like this."
Nyjer Morgan drove in two runs and Craig Counsell went 3-for-3 with three runs scored for the victors.
Kyle Lohse (7-3) allowed four runs on five hits over five full frames to take the loss for the Cardinals, who have lost two of three since a four-game winning streak.
"It's a very simple life," La Russa said. "You're excited when you win and disappointed when you lose."
St. Louis' best chance to score early on came in the second, when Yadier Molina hit a two-out double. Tyler Greene went down looking to end the inning.
The Brewers started their offensive attack in the third. Counsell led off with a triple off the wall in right and Jonathan Lucroy followed with a walk. Narveson then placed a nice bunt down the first-base line, and Counsell beat the throw home. Runners were on the corners after Rickie Weeks grounded into a fielder's choice, and Morgan's sacrifice fly to left made it a 2-0 game.
Braun's two-run homer to right-center field in the fifth made it 4-0.
The Brewers tacked on two more runs in the sixth. Corey Hart got the inning started with a homer to right. Counsell singled, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on Weeks' double to right.
The Cardinals put men on first and second with two outs in the eighth, but Jon Jay went down swinging to end the frame.
Milwaukee capped off the scoring with two runs in the home eighth. With Counsell on third and one out, pinch-hitter Josh Wilson hit a double to left. Morgan drove in Wilson two batters later with a single to make it 8-0.
St. Louis took two of three meetings from Milwaukee in early May, but the Brewers have won nine of the previous 14 matchups in this series....Lohse fell to 0-5 against the Brewers in a St. Louis uniform. He is 3-8 in 18 games (16 starts) versus Milwaukee...The Brewers are 23-9 at Miller Park this season... The Cardinals were without outfielder Allen Craig (bruised/lacerated right knee)...St. Louis recalled pitcher Mitchell Boggs from Triple-A Memphis and optioned pitcher Lance Lynn to the same club Friday.
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Jun 10 10:46 PM
- Ryan Braun flied out to right to end the inning.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 8 End 8Jun 10 10:39 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Wilson double to left scored Craig Counsell with one out. Runner on second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 7 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 10 10:33 PM
- Nyjer Morgan flied out to left to end the inning.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 6 End 6Jun 10 10:00 PM
- Craig Counsell singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 10 9:52 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Rickie Weeks. Prince Fielder due up.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 10 9:36 PM
- Nyjer Morgan sacrifice fly to left scored Jonathan Lucroy with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Braun due up.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 10 8:55 PM
- Rickie Weeks grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Chris Narveson out at second. Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cardinals 0, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 10 8:53 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21