Brewers earn dramatic winJul 10, 2011 - 11:04 PM
Two batters earlier, with runners on first and second and one out, pinch- hitter Mark Kotsay knocked in the tying run with an RBI single up the middle to score Nyjer Morgan.
Rickie Weeks was then hit by a pitch before Counsell won the game with his pinch-hit.
"When you're 0-for a long time, to do something to help the team is a great feeling," Counsell said. "In that situation, you have to calm yourself down when everyone else is going crazy, you kind of relax yourself."
Kameron Loe (3-7) tossed two innings in relief to earn the victory for Milwaukee, while Francisco Cordero (3-3) was tagged with the loss after giving up a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth.
"It's been very frustrating. I feel bad about it. We're playing the first place team so it hurts," Cordero said. "The last four games, I've blown three saves so we could have been tied for first or just a game out. I'm not doing my job, I'm not making my pitch. It doesn't feel good. If I want to have a job, I have to do better. If we want to go to the playoffs, I have to stop blowing saves."
Carlos Gomez belted an RBI triple and Corey Hart added an RBI for the Brewers, who took three of four from their Central Division rivals.
Ramon Hernandez had a pair of hits and Joey Votto chipped in with an RBI single for the Reds, who have dropped seven of their last 10 games.
Reds starter Dontrelle Wills was fantastic in his first start of the season after being recalled from Triple-A Louisville before the game. He worked six innings and gave up only a pair of runs on four hits.
Brewers hurler Randy Wolf was equally as good, working seven frames and giving up three runs on seven hits while walking four and striking out a pair of batters.
The Reds struck in their first at-bat, loading the bases with two outs on walks to Drew Stubbs, Brandon Philips and Jay Bruce. Scott Rolen was hit by a pitch to score Stubbs.
Milwaukee knotted the game in the home half. Weeks led off the inning with a double to right and scored on a sharp single to center by Hart. The Brewers had a chance to take the lead after walks to Prince Fielder and Casey McGehee loaded the bases with one out, but Willis battled back to get Yuniesky Betancourt to pop-out and Josh Wilson to ground out to third.
Cincinnati re-took the lead in the second. Hernandez and Zack Cozart singled to put runners on first and second for the Reds. Votto came through with an RBI single to right to put the Reds back on top by a 2-1 count.
Weeks drew a two-out walk in the second and came around to score on an RBI triple by Gomez to tie the game again.
In the fourth, the Reds grabbed the lead again at 3-2. Hernandez led off the inning with a single to left, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Willis and scored on a fielder's choice groundout by Cozart.
Milwaukee owns a 33-14 record at home this season...The Brewers won their 20th one-run game of the season...Milwaukee is 20-17 against the NL Central, while Cincinnati is 26-19.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Jul 10 5:00 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay singled to center scored Nyjer Morgan. On the play, George Kottaras advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 10 4:56 PM
- Zack Cozart grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. Drew Stubbs out at second. Ramon Hernandez scored on Rickie Weeks's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 3, Brewers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 10 3:21 PM
- Corey Hart grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Reds 2, Brewers 2 End 2Jul 10 3:01 PM
- Joey Votto singled to right scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 10 2:48 PM
- Corey Hart singled to center scored Rickie Weeks. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 10 2:32 PM
- Jonny Gomes grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Jay Bruce out at third to end the inning.
Reds 1, Brewers 0 Mid 1Jul 10 2:26 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21