McGehee belts 3 homers as Brewers down CardsAug 3, 2011 - 10:19 PM
The Milwaukee third baseman launched three of them as the Brewers doubled up the St. Louis Cardinals, 10-5, in the rubber match of a three-game series at Miller Park.
McGehee, who hadn't hit a home run since July 6, belted a two-run shot in both the first and third innings and added a solo blast in the seventh.
Milwaukee, which increased its lead over St. Louis in the National League Central to 3 1/2 games, finished a nine-game homestand with an 8-1 record.
David Freese put the visiting Cardinals on the board in the first inning with a two-out, RBI single off Brewers starter Randy Wolf (8-8). Milwaukee, though, countered with a three-spot during its first turn at the plate.
Edwin Jackson (1-1), making his second start for St. Louis following a trade from Toronto last week, gave up a leadoff home run to Corey Hart and a one-out double to Ryan Braun. After Prince Fielder lined out to third base, McGehee crushed a pitch to right-center field.
The lead didn't last long as Cardinals newcomer Rafael Furcal responded with a three-run blast in the second.
McGehee, though, followed a two-out single by Fielder with a drive to the left field seats for a 5-4 Milwaukee lead after three innings.
"It was (a long day for Edwin). He made some mistakes that they hit," said St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.
The Brewers tacked on two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings.
Back-to-back singles by Nyjer Morgan and Braun put men on the corners for Fielder, who plated a run by grounding out to Jackson. A fly ball moved Braun to third and he scored on a Yadier Molina passed ball.
After Furcal lofted a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth, Hart singled home Felipe Lopez, who led off the bottom of the frame with a single and advanced to third on George Kottaras' double. Hart then stole second and Molina's errant throw allowed Kottaras to score Milwaukee's ninth run.
McGehee completed the scoring and his power surge by smashing Jackson's offering to straight-away center.
"They definitely picked me up today," Wolf said. "It was nice to see the way they battled. It was really fun to watch Casey have a game like he did today."
McGehee tied the franchise record for most home runs in a game...Wolf gave up five runs on nine hits in six innings...Jackson, who was trying to win four consecutive starts for the first time in his career, surrendered 10 runs -- eight earned -- on 14 hits over seven frames...At 41-15, the Brewers have surpassed their home win total from last season (40-41)...McGehee now has eight home runs this season...Molina, who went 1-for-3 with a run scored, extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Aug 3 5:12 PM
- Casey McGehee one-out, solo Home Run 3 (8) to center. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 10 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 3 4:36 PM
- Nyjer Morgan struck out swinging. On the play, Corey Hart stole second and advances to third on Yadier Molina's throwing error, scoring George Kottaras with two outs. Runner on third and Ryan Braun due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 3 4:25 PM
- Corey Hart single to right scored Felipe Lopez with one out. On the play, George Kottaras advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 3 4:17 PM
- Rafael Furcal sacrifice fly to left scored Yadier Molina with two outs. On the play, Corey Patterson out at third, left to third to second to third to end the inning.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 7 Mid 6Aug 3 4:08 PM
- Ryan Braun scored on Yadier Molina passed ball with two outs. None on and Yuniesky Betancourt at the plate.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 3 3:55 PM
- Prince Fielder ground out to pitcher scored Nyjer Morgan with one out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runner on second and Casey McGehee due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 3 3:50 PM
- Casey McGehee two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to left scored Prince Fielder. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 3 3:13 PM
- Rafael Furcal one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Corey Patterson and Edwin Jackson. Ryan Theriot due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 3 Top 2, 1 OutAug 3 2:42 PM
- Casey McGehee two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Ryan Braun. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 3 2:31 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 3 2:25 PM
- David Freese single to center scored Rafael Furcal with two outs. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second. Runners on first and second and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 3 2:19 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21