Brewers solidify lead with win over CardsSep 6, 2011 - 1:13 AM
Ryan Braun and Nyjer Morgan homered for the Brewers, who moved 10 1/2 games ahead of the second-place Cardinals, who swept a three-game set at Milwaukee last week. Corey Hart extended his hitting streak to 17 games with an RBI infield hit in the second inning of the opener of this three-game set.
Last Wednesday, Wolf was on the losing end of an 8-3 final against Jake Westbrook, but on Labor Day the lefty got the better half of the pitching rematch.
Wolf (12-9) gave up four hits, a run, walked two and had five strikeouts to win for the sixth time in his last seven decisions. He also had a pair of hits. John Axford retired the side in order in the final inning for his 41st save.
Westbrook (11-8), who hadn't lost in his previous three starts, gave up nine hits, but had nine strikeouts over six innings.
The Brewers, who swept Houston over the weekend, scored in the second inning. Yuniesky Betancourt doubled with two outs and Wolf's infield hit caromed off Westbrook. Hart then hit a ground ball deep in the hole on the left side. The throw to first from shortstop Rafael Furcal was late, and Betancourt came home.
Braun led off the next inning with his 27th homer of the year, a blast onto the grassy area beyond the wall in center.
St. Louis scored in the fifth on a double-play grounder from Allen Craig. The hit plated David Freese, who led off with a double and advanced thanks to an error on first baseman Prince Fielder during Yadier Molina's at-bat.
Betancourt's single to left scored Craig Counsell in the sixth, and Moran led off the seventh with a homer to right off Kyle McClellan.
Betancourt had three hits...The Cardinals, who had just four hits, had won the previous four against Milwaukee...The Brewers have gone 14-3 over their last 17 road games.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
ST. LOUIS: 1
Sep 5 6:47 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Taylor Green due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 1 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 5 6:06 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt singled to left scoring Craig Counsell. On the play, George Kottaras advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Randy Wolf due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 5 5:47 PM
- Allen Craig grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring David Freese. Yadier Molina out at second. None on with two outs and Shane Robinson due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 5 5:36 PM
- Ryan Braun lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 5 4:58 PM
- Nyjer Morgan struck out swinging, catcher to first to end the inning.
Brewers 1, Cardinals 0 Mid 2Sep 5 4:45 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 4:15 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21