Brewers start fast, finish off sweep in CincySep 19, 2011 - 3:42 AM
Corey Hart went 3-for-4 with a solo homer and Ryan Braun added three hits in the victory, Milwaukee's fifth in six games. Rickie Weeks also chipped in two hits and two runs batted in, as the Brewers' top five batters in the starting lineup accounted for 11 of the team's 12 hits and all eight runs.
Zack Greinke (15-6) took a no-hitter into the fifth and finished seven innings allowing just two hits with one run. He walked three and struck out 10, improving to 8-2 in his last 11 starts.
Matt Maloney (0-3) made the spot start for Cincinnati after Dontrelle Willis was scratched because of back spasms. Maloney got just five outs and was tagged for seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits. He was slated to start Monday against Houston in place of the injured Johnny Cueto, who could miss the rest of the season because of a strained lat muscle.
"We didn't score a lot of runs again, didn't get a lot of hits again. That's not conducive to winning," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker.
The Brewers wasted little time against Maloney, as the first four batters reached base and scored. Hart doubled and Gomez followed with his seventh home run of the season before Braun singled and Fielder connected for his 34th homer.
After Weeks continued the onslaught with a double, Maloney settled down and retired the next three batters. The Brewers, though, were right back at it in the second.
Hart, Gomez and Braun each singled with one out to load the bases for Fielder, who grounded to first. Joey Votto threw home for the force out, but catcher Devin Mesoraco's return throw resulted in an error and allowed Gomez to score. Weeks then singled home two more to give Milwaukee a 7-0 cushion, also ending Maloney's short afternoon.
The Reds didn't have a hit against Greinke until two outs in the fifth when Juan Francisco singled. Drew Stubbs then walked and Mesoraco followed with a base hit to chase home Francisco. After Todd Frazier walked to load the bases, Greinke escaped further damage when Brandon Phillips flied to right field.
Hart got the run back in the top of the sixth with a two-out homer, his 25th of the season.
Greinke concluded his effort with two shutout innings. Tim Dillard then worked a hitless eighth and Takashi Saito hurled a spotless ninth.
The Brewers hit 10 homers in the series and outscored the Reds, 24-5...The teams split the 16-game season series...Greinke improved to 3-0 lifetime against the Reds, including 2-0 this season. He has allowed two earned runs or fewer in his last five starts.
- MILWAUKEE: 8
Sep 18 3:53 PM
- Corey Hart two-out, solo Home Run (25) to left. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 8, Reds 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 18 2:58 PM
- Devin Mesoraco advances to second and Drew Stubbs advances to third on a Zack Greinke wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two outs and Todd Frazier at the plate.
Brewers 7, Reds 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 18 2:49 PM
- Rickie Weeks single to left scored Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder with two out. Runner on first and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 7, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 18 1:45 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a fielder's choice to catcher. On the play, Carlos Gomez, scored on Devin Mesoraco's throwing error with two out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third and Corey Hart out at home. Runners on second and third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 5, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 18 1:44 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to right. Runner on second with none out and Casey McGehee due up.
Brewers 4, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 18 1:18 PM
- Ryan Braun infield single to pitcher. Runner on first with none out and Prince Fielder due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 18 1:16 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 1:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21