Gonzalez, Rockies end D-Backs' win streak at 6 gamesMay 25, 2011 - 2:49 AM
Seth Smith clubbed a solo homer and knocked in a pair, while Dexter Fowler added a two-run triple for Colorado, which snapped a three-game slide.
"It's good. It's a good feeling knowing that we scored a lot of runs," Gonzalez said. "Something that we haven't done a lot this year."
Jorge De La Rosa got the start and was charged with two runs on three hits before leaving with one out in the third with what the club is calling a complete tear of his ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow. The left- hander struck out three and walked two. Greg Reynolds (2-0) took over and picked up the win after allowing three hits and one run in 3 2/3 frames.
The Rockies announced the injury and said the next step for the left-hander is being discussed, although early indications are he'll likely be out the remainder of the season. The injury was originally described as left elbow soreness.
The game was delayed by 23 minutes at the outset due to rain.
Xavier Nady and Melvin Mora each had a pair of RBI for the Diamondbacks, who had their six-game winning streak halted.
"We had three runs early, but we had some more opportunities," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "At the end of game, we kind of let the game get away from us with our sloppy play."
Rookie Josh Collmenter (3-1) was tagged with the loss for yielding five runs -- two earned -- on five hits and two walks in 4 1/3 innings.
Arizona stranded runners in each of the first two innings before putting up three in the third. With men on second and third, and one away, De La Rosa was taken out with elbow soreness. Greg Reynolds was summoned from the bullpen and inherited a 1-1 count on Chris Young, who was eventually walked intentionally to load the bases.
Nady's groundout brought in one and Mora chased in two more with a sharp single.
Gonzalez hit a lead-off homer to right in the fourth and Smith belted a shot to left three batters later to make it a 3-2 game.
With the bases loaded and one out in the fifth, Troy Tulowitzki worked a walk to force in the tying run. Todd Helton followed with a sacrifice fly and Smith's RBI double put the Rockies in front 5-3.
Colorado tacked on two more in the sixth on a run-scoring fielder's choice ground ball by Gonzalez and an RBI base hit from Tulowitzki.
The Rockies then blew the game open with a five-run seventh to go ahead 12-3. Jonathan Herrera drove in one with a base hit and Fowler followed with a two- run triple to center before Gonzalez capped the scoring with a two-run homer.
Nady got one back in the eighth with a run-scoring single.
Matt Reynolds worked a perfect ninth to finish out the victory.
Prior to the game, the Diamondbacks placed pitcher Sam Demel on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis and recalled pitcher Kam Mickolio from Triple-A Reno...In the night cap, Arizona will start Joe Saunders (0-5, 5.02) and he'll be opposed by Jhoulys Chacin (5-2, 2.70) for Colorado...The doubleheader was made possible after an April 3 contest in Denver was canceled due to inclement weather...Arizona reliever Juan Gutierrez exited with right shoulder soreness after allowing a walk and a hit without retiring a batter in the sixth inning...Despite the loss, Arizona is still 6-3 in the last nine games against the Rockies.
- ARIZONA: 4
May 24 6:52 PM
- Xavier Nady singled to center scoring Justin Upton with one out. Runner on first and Melvin Mora due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 12 Top 8, 1 OutMay 24 6:37 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (8) to center scored Dexter Fowler. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 12 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 6:27 PM
- Dexter Fowler tripled to center scoring Ryan Spilborghs and Jonathan Herrera with one out. Runner on third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 10 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 6:24 PM
- Jonathan Herrera singled to right scoring Chris Iannetta with one out. On the play, Ryan Spilborghs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 6:21 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to left scoring Alfredo Amezaga with two out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 24 6:02 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Chris Iannetta with two out. Dexter Fowler out at second. Alfredo Amezaga advances to third. Runners on first and third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 24 6:00 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to right scoring Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jose Lopez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 24 5:32 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly to left scored Dexter Fowler with two out. Runners on first and second and Seth Smith due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 24 5:30 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki walked scoring Jonathan Herrera with one out. Bases loaded and Todd Helton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 24 5:28 PM
- Seth Smith two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Jose Lopez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 24 5:01 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 24 4:56 PM
- Melvin Mora singled to left scoring Justin Upton and Chris Young with two out. Runner on first and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 24 4:35 PM
- Xavier Nady grounded out second to first scoring Ryan Roberts with two out. On the play, Chris Young advances to second and Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on second and third and Melvin Mora due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 24 4:33 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 24 3:33 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21