Rockies take doubleheader to sweep MetsApr 15, 2011 - 3:41 AM
In the opener of the twinbill, which was made necessary due to Tuesday's rainout, Carlos Gonzalez hit a two-run homer and Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-4 with a solo shot in a 6-5 win.
The second contest featured Tulowitzki homering for a fourth straight game, while Dexter Fowler was 2-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Rockies, who have won six straight to improve to 10-2.
"I put some swings on it," Tulowitzki said. "I cant say, 'The ball looks huge' and, 'I'm going to hit everything right now,' the game's not that easy. I had a good series."
Jorge De La Rosa (2-0) went 6 2/3 innings to get the win. He gave up four runs on five hits with four walks and seven strikeouts.
Jose Reyes and Mike Nickeas both drove in two runs for the Mets, who have dropped five in a row and eight of nine. Chris Capuano (1-1) was tagged for seven runs on eight hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings, and fanned five.
"Our team has been doing such a good job giving us early leads," Capuano said. "I gave a couple of leads away and that's upsetting for a starting pitcher."
The Mets were holding a 4-2 lead going into the sixth inning, but the Rockies surged ahead in the frame.
Tulowitzki led off the frame by ripping the first pitch he saw over the left field wall. Later in the frame with the bases loaded and one out, De La Rosa hit a grounder to second that had the potential to be a double play, but Brad Emaus bobbled the ball and was only able to get the force at second with the tying run coming home. Fowler then singled home the go-ahead run and Taylor Buchholz took over on the mound.
After a passed ball moved the batters up a base, Herrera deposited a pitch over the right field wall for his first home run of the season and an 8-4 lead.
Ty Wigginton's RBI single in the ninth scored Gonzalez for a 9-4 lead.
After the fourth inning, the Mets only got one runner to third base the rest of the game with Felipe Paulino working the ninth to close the series sweep.
Nickeas hit a two-run double in the second to give the Mets a 2-0 lead, but Colorado countered in the third on an RBI single from Fowler and a fielder's choice grounder that plated a run from Gonzalez to tie the game.
Reyes' two-run single with two outs in the fourth gave the Mets a 4-2 lead.
Tulowitzki leads the majors in homers this season with seven homers...The Mets open a three-game series in Atlanta on Friday...Colorado heads home to face the Cubs for a three-game set beginning on Friday...These teams split six games last season.
- COLORADO: 9
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 14 7:26 PM
- Ty Wigginton single to center scored Carlos Gonzalez. Runners on first and third with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 9, Mets 4 Top 9, 1 OutApr 14 7:16 PM
- Jonathan Herrera two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Jorge De La Rosa and Dexter Fowler. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 8, Mets 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 14 6:13 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to left scored Ryan Spilborghs. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 14 6:08 PM
- Jorge De La Rosa grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Todd Helton. Runners on first and third with two outs and Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 4, Mets 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 14 6:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 3, Mets 4 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 14 5:55 PM
- Jose Reyes single to center scored Brad Emaus and Mike Nickeas. Runner on first with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Rockies 2, Mets 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 14 5:36 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on first with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 2, Mets 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 14 4:57 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to left scored Chris Iannetta. Runner on first with one out and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 14 4:53 PM
- Mike Nickeas double to left scored Ike Davis and Scott Hairston. Runner on second with one out and Chris Capuano due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 14 4:45 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 14 4:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21