Giants' bats awaken in rout of CubsJun 29, 2011 - 1:26 AM
Pat Burrell and Aaron Rowand ignited the offense, powering the Giants to a 13-7 victory over Chicago at Wrigley Field.
Burrell clubbed a two-run homer and added an RBI single, while Rowand highlighted a five-run fifth inning with a bases-clearing double.
San Francisco, which equaled its longest win streak of the season with a sixth straight victory, set season highs for runs and hits (18) in a game.
Ryan Vogelsong (6-1) labored through five innings in his start for the Giants, allowing a season-worst six runs -- three of which were earned -- on six hits and four walks.
"I just didn't execute pitches very well today," Vogelsong said.
Carlos Pena belted a two-run homer and Koyie Hill smashed a solo shot for the Cubs, who have dropped five of seven. Chicago starter Doug Davis (1-7) was tagged for 10 runs and 12 hits in 4 1/3 innings.
"I couldn't keep anybody off-balance," said Davis.
The Giants jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning.
Rowand walked to begin the game and came around to score after back-to- back singles by Miguel Tejada and Aubrey Huff. Once Cody Ross loaded the bases with a third straight hit, Pablo Sandoval plated a run by grounding into a 4-6-3 double play. Huff then scored on a single by Burrell.
Vogelsong entered the game having allowed two or fewer runs in nine consecutive starts. But that streak came to an end as Chicago tied the game in the second on home runs by the red-hot Pena and Hill.
For Pena, it marked the seventh time he has gone deep in his last 12 games.
San Francisco, though, scored three runs again in the next frame. Sandoval lined a one-out double to center, scoring Huff, who led off the third with a walk. Burrell then crushed a Davis offering to the left-field seats to put the Giants up 6-3.
Chicago threatened in the bottom of the inning, but Vogelsong struck out both Aramis Ramirez and Pena with runners on the corners.
The Giants then blew the game open in the fifth. With already one run singled home by Chris Stewart, Chris Carpenter inherited a bases-loaded situation when he relieved the southpaw Davis. Rowand greeted the Cubs' right-hander by driving home all three men with a double down the left-field line.
A wild pitch moved Rowand to third and he scored when Chicago's Alfonso Soriano misplayed a ball hit by Huff in left field. Huff was credited with a sacrifice fly on the play.
The Cubs trimmed their deficit to 11-6 with a three-spot in the home half of the fifth. Soriano forced in a run with a bases-loaded walk and Blake DeWitt followed with a two-run single that deflected off the glove of San Francisco second baseman Bill Hall, who committed an error earlier in the inning.
A pinch-hit, RBI single by Nate Schierholtz in the sixth gave the Giants a six-run cushion.
After DeWitt knocked in his third run of the game with another single in the seventh, Tejada completed the scoring with a solo blast two innings later off John Grabow.
The Giants finished 8-for-16 with runners in scoring position...Chicago shortstop Starlin Castro went 0-for-5 to snap his career-high hitting streak at 11 games...The game was a make up from the May 15 rainout.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 13
Jun 28 5:46 PM
- Miguel Tejada two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 13, Cubs 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 28 5:37 PM
- Blake DeWitt singled to right center scored Aramis Ramirez.. Runner on first with two outs and Koyie Hill due up.
Giants 12, Cubs 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 28 5:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate Schierholtz singled to right center scored Bill Hall. On the play, Chris Stewart advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 12, Cubs 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 28 4:42 PM
- Koyie Hill struck out swinging to end the inning.
Giants 11, Cubs 6 End 5Jun 28 4:26 PM
- Alfonso Soriano walked scoring Tony Campana with two out. Bases loaded and Blake DeWitt due up.
Giants 11, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 28 4:22 PM
- Aubrey Huff sacrifice fly to left scored Aaron Rowand with one out. On the play, Aubrey Huff was safe at first on Alfonso Soriano's fielding error. Miguel Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 11, Cubs 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 28 4:07 PM
- Aaron Rowand doubled to left scoring Pat Burrell, Bill Hall and Chris Stewart with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 10, Cubs 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 28 4:03 PM
- Chris Stewart singled to center scoring Pablo Sandoval with none out. On the play, Bill Hall advances to second and Pat Burrell advances to third. Bases loaded and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Giants 7, Cubs 3 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 28 3:57 PM
- Pat Burrell one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Pablo Sandoval. Bill Hall due up.
Giants 6, Cubs 3 Top 3, 1 OutJun 28 3:08 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to center scoring Aubrey Huff with one out. Runner on second and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 3 Top 3, 1 OutJun 28 3:06 PM
- Koyie Hill two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Doug Davis due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 28 2:57 PM
- Carlos Pena none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Aramis Ramirez. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 28 2:52 PM
- Pat Burrell singled to right scoring Aubrey Huff with two out. Runner on first and Bill Hall due up.
Giants 3, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 28 2:31 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Miguel Tejada with two out. Cody Ross out at second. Aubrey Huff advances to third. Runner on third and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 28 2:30 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to center scoring Aaron Rowand with none out. On the play, Miguel Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 28 2:27 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21