A's split DH on Sizemore's hit in 10thJul 17, 2011 - 6:25 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Scott Sizemore knocked in the game-winning run with a hit into the right-center field gap in the bottom of the 10th inning, as the Athletics earned a 4-3 win over the Angels to split a doubleheader Saturday.
David DeJesus, Landon Powell and Coco Crisp also had an RBI apiece for the A's, who dropped the opener of the doubleheader 4-2 in the afternoon.
In that game, Angels starter Jered Weaver scattered seven hits while fanning three and walking a pair to win his sixth straight decision.
Brad Ziegler (3-1) worked a scoreless 10th in the nightcap for the A's, while Rich Thompson (1-3) surrendered the winning hit to Sizemore on a hanging breaking ball and absorbed the loss.
Mark Trumbo and Vernon Wells blasted home runs for the Angels.
Josh Willingham led off the 10th with a walk and pinch-runner Cliff Pennington advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by DeJesus. Conor Jackson grounded out and Powell walked to set the stage for Sizemore's walkoff. Despite falling down in the count 0-2, Sizemore ripped a hanging 2-2 curveball into the gap to win it for the A's.
"I just battled until I got one I could handle," Sizemore said.
Earlier, Los Angeles struck first in the second inning, plating a pair of runs on Trumbo's home run to center field, his 18th of the year.
Oakland came back to knot the game at two in the fourth. Sweeney ripped a one- out single to center, advanced to second on a wild pitch by Angels starter Ervin Santana, moved to third on a single by Willingham and scored on a single to right by DeJesus. Oakland picked up its second run of the inning on a single by Powell.
The A's took a 3-2 lead in the fifth. Eric Sogard led off the inning with a walk, advanced to third on a throwing error by Santana and scored on a groundout by Crisp. Santana fought back to strike out Sweeney and induce a groundout from Willingham with a runner on third to limit the damage to one run.
Los Angeles came right back to tie the game at 3-3 in the sixth on Wells' two- out solo homer, his 14th of the season.
Los Angeles in 33-13 when scoring first in 2011...Saturday's twin-bill was the first doubleheader in Oakland since August 22, 1998 against the Detroit Tigers...Oakland is 15-17 against the AL West, while the Angels hold a 14-13 mark against their own division...Oakland is 5-8 during the month of July...Santana gave up three runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits, while Oakland starter Rich Harden went seven innings, giving up three runs on four hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 16 11:13 PM
- Scott Sizemore single to right center scored Josh Willingham with two outs to end the game.
Angels 3, Athletics 4 Bot 10, 2 OutsJul 16 11:12 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 16 9:34 PM
- Coco Crisp ground out second to first scored Eric Sogard with one out. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 16 9:25 PM
- Landon Powell single to right scored Josh Willingham with two outs. On the play, David DeJesus advances to third. Runners on first and third and Scott Sizemore due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 16 9:07 PM
- David DeJesus single to right scored Ryan Sweeney with one out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to second. Runners on first and second and Conor Jackson due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 16 9:01 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Hank Conger due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 16 8:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 8:01 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22