Rays pound Yanks to inch closer in wild card raceSep 23, 2011 - 4:59 AM
Matt Joyce had a two-run single in the first inning for Tampa Bay, which moved within two games of Boston for the lead in the wild card standings. The Rays lost three of four games in the Bronx, but will now head home to finish the season with three this weekend against Toronto and then a trio vs. the Yankees.
"You've got to run the table, but you have to do it on a nightly basis," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "As you're trying to do that, if you hit a bump in the road you still have to stick with the math. The math still works. You cannot give up."
The Red Sox, who were idle Thursday, play on the road against the Yankees this weekend before ending the season in Baltimore.
The Angels entered the day tied with Tampa Bay in the wild card standings, but lost in 12 innings to Toronto thanks to Edwin Encarnacion's home run.
Matt Moore (1-0), in his first major league start and third career appearance, had 11 strikeouts through five innings while giving up just four hits.
"Fortunately we put up a lot of runs early," Moore said. "It was great. It looked they were mad tonight."
The Yankees swept a doubleheader Wednesday, on the way to winning the division, but Bartolo Colon was pounded and New York committed four errors in the finale of this series. Colon (8-10) gave up seven hits and seven runs -- five earned -- over three innings. He's winless in his last nine appearances (0-4).
"It's location, it's movement," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of the reason for Colon's struggles. "It's some velocity as well. That's why there's concerns. You keep going forward and continue to evaluate."
Andruw Jones smacked a two-run homer and knocked in three for the Yankees, who fell behind 13-0 through five innings but made things somewhat interesting in the eighth.
A throwing error on second baseman Elliot Johnson allowed Chris Dickerson and Eduardo Nunez to score, pulling the hosts within seven runs. Jake McGee, Tampa Bay's third pitcher of the inning, fanned Jorge Posada with the bases full to end the frame.
The Rays loaded the bases with nobody out in the first during a wild inning for Colon, when he hit Upton with a pitch and walked Evan Longoria. Joyce grounded a single into right field for a 2-0 lead. Damon then lifted a sacrifice fly to left field.
Upton hit an RBI triple in the second and scored on Longoria's double.
Zobrist homered to right with Damon aboard in the third, and the fourth saw more long distance shots. Upton and Damon each belted two-run homers and Reid Brignac's base hit plated Zobrist for a 12-0 cushion.
Upton scored on a Zobrist sac fly in the fifth before Jones homered in the sixth. Ramiro Pena and Jones each had RBI singles and Jesus Montero a two-run double in the New York seventh.
Dellin Betances hit Joyce with the bases full in the eighth and Russ Canzler added a sacrifice fly.
The Yanks have won nine of their 15 meetings with the Rays this season...The Yankees used a total of 16 different pitchers (of 19 total arms on the roster) during this four-game series...Pena snapped an 0-for-28 with his sixth-inning single...Betances and Andrew Brackman made their major league debuts on the mound for the Yankees...Moore's 11 strikeouts marked the most by a Rays pitcher in his first career start.
- TAMPA BAY: 15
NEW YORK: 8
Sep 22 10:44 PM
- Ramiro Pena reached first on Elliot Johnson's throwing error which scored Chris Dickerson and Eduardo Nunez. On the play, Austin Romine advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Rays 15, Yankees 8 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 22 10:19 PM
- Elliot Johnson walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Rays 15, Yankees 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 22 10:02 PM
- Matt Joyce's hit-by-pitch scored Dan Johnson. Bases loaded with one out and Russ Canzler due up.
Rays 14, Yankees 6 Top 8, 1 OutSep 22 10:00 PM
- Jesus Montero doubled to left-center scoring Ramiro Pena and Andruw Jones. Runner on second with one out and Jorge Posada due up.
Rays 13, Yankees 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 22 9:46 PM
- Andruw Jones singled to left scoring Austin Romine. On the play, Ramiro Pena advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jesus Montero due up.
Rays 13, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 22 9:42 PM
- Ramiro Pena singled to right scoring Eduardo Nunez. On the play, Austin Romine advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Andruw Jones due up.
Rays 13, Yankees 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 22 9:40 PM
- Andruw Jones one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left-center scored Ramiro Pena. Jesus Montero is due up.
Rays 13, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 22 9:11 PM
- Casey Kotchman singled to right. On the play, Russ Canzler advances to second and Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and John Jaso due up.
Rays 13, Yankees 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 22 8:47 PM
- Reid Brignac singled to center scoring Ben Zobrist. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 12, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 22 8:26 PM
- Johnny Damon one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Evan Longoria. Ben Zobrist is due up.
Rays 11, Yankees 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 22 8:20 PM
- B.J. Upton none-out, two-run Home Run (22) to left-center scored Desmond Jennings. Evan Longoria is due up.
Rays 9, Yankees 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 22 8:16 PM
- Ben Zobrist none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Johnny Damon. Casey Kotchman is due up.
Rays 7, Yankees 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 22 7:59 PM
- Evan Longoria doubled to right-center scoring B.J. Upton. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 22 7:40 PM
- B.J. Upton tripled to left-center scoring Desmond Jennings. Runner on third with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 4, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 22 7:40 PM
- Johnny Damon sacrifice fly to left scored Evan Longoria. Runner on first with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 22 7:19 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to right scoring Desmond Jennings and B.J. Upton. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third on Nick Swisher's fielding error. Runners on first and third with none out and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 22 7:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 7:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21