Yankees destroy O's 17-3, sweep doubleheaderJul 31, 2011 - 4:06 AM
Nick Swisher clubbed a two-run homer and Brett Gardner added a two-run single during an 8-3 Yankee win in the day contest.
In the night game, the Yankees pounded Orioles starter Zach Britton during a 40-minute bottom of the first inning. The 12 runs are the most scored in the first frame for the team and the most in any inning for the Yankees since a 13-run eighth against Tampa Bay on June 21, 2005.
Cano went 5-for-5 with five RBI, including a pair of run-scoring singles in the first inning. Swisher belted a two-run homer to cap the 10-hit frame, which saw 16 men come to the plate.
The beneficiary of the offense was Ivan Nova (9-4), who made his first major league appearance since July 1. The right-hander fanned six batters through seven innings and won his fifth straight decision.
"I thought he got better as the game went on," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I thought he used his stuff better. I thought his slider helped him tonight."
Britton (6-8), who dropped his fourth consecutive decision, didn't make it out of the nightmare opening frame, as he was charged with seven hits and nine runs -- six earned -- while recording just one out. Jason Berken had just as much trouble over the next 2 2/3 innings, allowing eight hits and seven runs.
The offensive numbers were eye-popping for the Yankees, who went 12-for-25 with men in scoring position. Every starter in the lineup had at least one RBI, except for Curtis Granderson, who had four hits and scored three times. Andruw Jones hit a mammoth homer in the third inning.
Vladimir Guerrero went 4-for-4 with a homer and drove in two runs for the Orioles, who lost for the fourth time in five games.
Matt Wieters lined out to a sliding Brett Gardner in left field to end the top of the first, as the Orioles left the bases full.
The Yankees, winners in five of their last seven, then had a stretch of nine straight batters reaching base in the bottom of the inning after Derek Jeter struck out to open the frame.
Cano's single to left plated Curtis Granderson and Swisher then reached safely when shortstop J.J. Hardy bobbled a bouncer. That plated Mark Teixeira. Jones smacked an RBI double high off the fence in left, Russell Martin singled to right for another run and Eduardo Nunez followed suit for a 5-0 cushion.
"I wasn't able to make adjustments," said Britton, who didn't make it out of the first inning against Boston in his last start - July 8 at Fenway Park. In the two combined games Britton has given up 13 hits and 13 runs over one inning.
It only got worse for Britton, as Gardner legged out an infield hit on a high chop that the Orioles starter threw late to first base. Jeter followed with a two-run ground single to right field.
"I felt like I was getting ground balls, just not where I wanted to," Britton said. "I just wasn't able to mix any offspeed pitches enough to keep them off balance. It seemed like they were just sitting on the fastball."
Berken then entered and fanned Granderson, but Teixeira doubled to the right field corner for a 9-0 lead. Cano singled him in and Swisher crushed a 1-0 pitch to the right field bleacher to finish the uprising which saw the Orioles throw 70 pitches.
Cano doubled in two runs during a three-run second and Jones smashed a ball off the back of the bullpen in left-center leading off the bottom of the third.
In between, Gurrero doubled in a run and he homered to right in the sixth.
Cano added an RBI double in the sixth before Mark Reynolds capped Baltimore's scoring with a single to center in the eighth.
During the game, the Orioles announced they had traded relief pitcher Koji Uehara to the Texas Rangers in exchange for pitcher Tommy Hunter and first baseman Chris Davis...After the contest, the Orioles traded first baseman Derrek Lee to the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league first baseman Aaron Baker...The Yankees improved to 12-1-13 in doubleheaders since 2000, sweeping a doubleheader for the first time since September 7, 2009 vs. Tampa Bay on Labor Day...The Yankees improved to 8-1 against Baltimore this season...The Yankees matched their season high with 17 runs...Nova was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre prior to the game...The five hits for Cano are a career-best...Jeter is now tied with Rafael Palmeiro (3,020) for 24th place on baseball's all-time hit list.
- BALTIMORE: 3
NEW YORK: 17
Jul 30 10:32 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Blake Davis with one out. On the play, Vladimir Guerrero advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 17 Top 8, 1 OutJul 30 10:03 PM
- Robinson Cano double to center scored Curtis Granderson with one out. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 17 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 30 9:31 PM
- Curtis Granderson doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 16 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 30 9:27 PM
- Andruw Jones lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Russell Martin due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 16 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 30 8:38 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero double to center scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runner on second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 15 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 30 8:33 PM
- Robinson Cano double to left scored Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira with two out. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 15 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 30 8:23 PM
- Brett Gardner ground out short to first scored Eduardo Nunez with one out. None on and Derek Jeter due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 13 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 8:17 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right scored Robinson Cano. Andruw Jones due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 12 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:02 PM
- Robinson Cano single to right scored Mark Teixeira with two out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 10 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:01 PM
- Mark Teixeira double to right scored Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter with two out. Runner on second and Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 9 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 7:56 PM
- Derek Jeter single to right scored Russell Martin and Eduardo Nunez with one out. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Derek Jeter to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Curtis Granderson due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 7 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:51 PM
- Brett Gardner infield singled to pitche. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advances to second and Russell Martin advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 5 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:47 PM
- Russell Martin single to right scored Nick Swisher with one out. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:43 PM
- Andruw Jones double to left scored Robinson Cano with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on second and third and Russell Martin due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:41 PM
- Nick Swisher reached first on J.J. Hardy's fielding error scoring Mark Teixeira with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andruw Jones due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:39 PM
- Robinson Cano single to left scored Curtis Granderson with one out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third on Nolan Reimold's throwing error. Runners on first and third with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:37 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21