Brewers use big inning to take 2-0 series leadOct 3, 2011 - 1:39 AM
Corey Hart, Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Braun had consecutive base hits that accounted for four of Milwaukee's five runs in the pivotal inning, boosting the Brewers to 9-4 win and a commanding lead over Arizona after two games of their National League Division Series. The other run, the tie-breaker, came on a squeeze bunt from Jonathan Lucroy.
Braun went 3-for-4 with three RBI, including a homer in the opening inning off Daniel Hudson.
"We did some really good things offensively today," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "That's a type game where you feel like offensively you're going to keep scoring runs and hopefully because of it, it builds the confidence in the whole lineup, because they all came through today."
The Brewers are one win away from advancing to their first championship series since 1982, when they beat the Angels in the ALCS before falling to St. Louis in the World Series.
Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Young and Justin Upton all went deep off Zack Greinke, but it wasn't enough for the Diamondbacks, who will try to stay alive in Game 3 of this best-of-five series Tuesday at Arizona. First pitch is 9:37 p.m. (et).
"We have hope," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "We're going to go to our environment now. We played better at home just as well as the Brewers have."
The Diamondbacks used four pitchers in the sixth inning, when the Brewers sent 10 men to the plate to break a 4-4 tie. Jerry Hairston Jr. doubled with one out. Brad Ziegler then replaced Hudson (0-1) but was called for a balk, and Yuniesky Betancourt walked to set the stage for Lucroy, who put down a bunt toward first base.
Ziegler jumped off the mound, pounced on the ball and shoveled it to home plate, but the throw went past catcher Miguel Montero, allowing the go-ahead run to score.
"Lucroy's done it several times," Gibson said of the bunt. "It happens all around the league. It's just an excitable moment. I thought [Ziegler] was going to tag him at first. He obviously thought he had a chance at it."
Pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay was intentionally walked before Hart lined a single to center on a first pitch for a 6-4 difference. On the very next pitch, Morgan laced a hit to right-center to plate two more. Only two pitches later, Braun capped the outburst with another RBI single, this one to center.
Joe Paterson and Bryan Shaw had to finish the inning on the mound for the Diamondbacks, who never recovered despite putting two men on base in each of the final three innings.
Montero lined out to pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to end the top of the seventh. Francisco Rodriguez struck out pinch-hitter Geoff Blum to cap the eighth and John Axford fanned Goldschmidt to end the contest.
Greinke, who was making his first playoff appearance and had gone unbeaten at home during the 2011 season, allowed eight hits and four runs while fanning seven batters. Greinke, who was pitching on three days' rest, was replaced by Takashi Saito (1-0) for the sixth inning. Chris Young doubled with one out in the frame, but was left stranded when Gerardo Parra struck out.
Before that, the Brewers bolted to an early lead. Hart singled to start the bottom of the first, and Braun homered to center with one out.
"The main thing with Braun is this year he's been consistent the whole time, the whole season he's put good at-bats," Greinke said. "I don't know if he's even been in a slump like maybe a three-game slump or something. But all year long he's been consistent."
Goldschmidt led off the second with a blast over the wall in right-center, but the Brewers got three straight hits in the third to extend their lead to 4-1. Braun doubled to right, Prince Fielder singled to center and Rickie Weeks hit a one-hop triple off the wall in center.
Young homered to center with one out in the fourth, and Upton went deep with Aaron Hill aboard in the fifth.
Hudson was charged with nine hits and five runs over 5 1/3 innings. He also had six strikeouts...Arizona went 0-for-10 with men in scoring position and left 10 on base...Shaun Marcum is expected to start Game 3 for Milwaukee, while rookie Josh Collmenter pitches for Arizona...Hill doubled off the wall, right off the line in left field in the first inning for a supposed double. However, left field umpire James Hoye ruled foul. Hill returned to the plate then singled, but was left stranded.
- ARIZONA: 4
Oct 2 8:38 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Corey Hart with one out. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Prince Fielder due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 9 Bot 6, 1 OutOct 2 7:25 PM
- Nyjer Morgan single to center scored Jonathan Lucroy and Mark Kotsay with one out. On the play, Corey Hart advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Braun due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 8 Bot 6, 1 OutOct 2 7:24 PM
- Corey Hart single to center scored Yuniesky Betancourt with one out. On the play, Mark Kotsay advanced to second and Jonathan Lucroy advanced to third. Bases loaded and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutOct 2 7:23 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy reached first on a sacrifice bunt that scored Jerry Hairston Jr. with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advanced to second and Yuniesky Betancourt advanced to third on Brad Ziegler's throwing error. Runners on second and third with one out and Takashi Saito due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutOct 2 7:21 PM
- Justin Upton two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Aaron Hill. Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 4 Top 5, 2 OutsOct 2 6:45 PM
- Chris Young one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Brewers 4 Top 4, 1 OutOct 2 6:21 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. flied out to left to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 4 End 3Oct 2 6:16 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Ryan Braun with two out. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsOct 2 6:09 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsOct 2 5:33 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Corey Hart. Prince Fielder due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutOct 2 5:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Oct 2 5:09 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21