Hill homers twice as Diamondbacks down GiantsApr 7, 2012 - 11:59 PM
Chris Young had a pair of doubles and two RBI for the Diamondbacks, who have won both games so far by identical scores. Daniel Hudson (1-0) gave up four runs on five hits in 6 2/3 innings and added two hits and a run scored at the plate.
"There were a couple of things I didn't do well today," said Hudson. "A couple of mistakes that they put over the wall and I didn't get enough first-pitch strikes. There's some things I need to work on."
Pablo Sandoval and Brett Pill each hit a two-run home run for the Giants, who saw starter Madison Bumgarner (0-1) give up four runs on seven hits in just four innings.
"It was similar to yesterday in that we were down early and tried to come back," said San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy. "It's a good sign that we're coming back, but we have to start better."
The Diamondbacks wasted no time in scoring as Hill hit a one-out home run and Young later doubled home Justin Upton, who reached base on a walk and moved to second on a Miguel Montero single.
The second inning saw Arizona add to its lead when Hill clubbed a two-out, two-run homer for a 4-0 lead.
The Giants cut their deficit in half in the fourth as Melky Cabrera hit a leadoff single and Sandoval followed with a shot over the right field wall.
Arizona got one back in the fifth as Montero hit a one-out single, moved to second on a wild pitch and came home on a Young double.
In the seventh, Brandon Belt drew a leadoff walk and Pill clubbed a pinch-hit homer to cut the lead to one.
That was it for the scoring, though, as David Hernandez worked around a one- out single in the eighth and J.J. Putz pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his second save of the young season.
Arizona has won seven straight over San Francisco...The Diamondbacks go for the sweep on Sunday with Josh Collmenter on the mound and he will be opposed by Matt Cain...Last time Arizona started out 2-0 was in 2002...It was Hill's fourth career two-home run game.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Apr 7 6:41 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brett Pill two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brandon Belt. Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 5 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 7 6:02 PM
- Chris Young double to left scored Miguel Montero. Runner on second with one out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 7 5:33 PM
- Pablo Sandoval none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Melky Cabrera. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 7 5:05 PM
- Aaron Hill two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Daniel Hudson. Justin Upton due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 7 4:43 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt intentionally walked. Bases loaded with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 7 4:25 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Justin Upton due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 7 4:16 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 4:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21