Diamondbacks sweep GiantsApr 9, 2012 - 2:00 AM
Lyle Overbay finished 3-for-4 with a solo home run and a two-run double, while Ryan Roberts ripped a two-run homer and Willie Bloomquist added a pair of hits for the Diamondbacks, who completed a sweep of the season-opening three-game set and have beaten the Giants eight consecutive times going back to last season.
Wade Miley (1-0) picked up the win with four innings of scoreless relief after starter Josh Collmenter was rocked early for six runs -- five earned -- in just three innings. With J.J. Putz unavailable, Bryan Shaw pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his first major league save.
"That win will make you smile," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "The guys battled, it was an interesting game and they got the job done and competed very well today."
Posey belted a two-run homer and Pablo Sandoval added an RBI single for the Giants, who fell to 0-3 for the first time since 1984.
Jeremy Affeldt (0-1) was tagged with the loss after giving up two runs -- one earned -- on one hit and a walk in one-third of an inning.
Fresh off signing a five-year extension with the Giants that will pay him around $20 million per season, starter Matt Cain gave up five runs on six hits while fanning four and walking two in six innings.
Trailing 6-0 after just three innings, the Diamondbacks began their comeback with a pair of runs in the home fourth. Miguel Montero drew a one-out walk and Chris Young followed with a single to left, putting two men on. After Roberts flew out, Overbay rocketed a 1-0 fastball from Cain into the right field corner to bring home Montero and Young.
Montero drew a one-out walk in the home sixth and scored on Roberts' two-run homer two batters later, and Overbay followed with a solo shot to make it 6-5 for San Francisco.
In the seventh, Cain was lifted in favor of Affeldt, who quickly got himself into trouble. Jason Kubel slapped a single to left, and Hill walked around a Bloomquist fielder's choice to put runners on first and second with one down. Affeldt was then removed for Santiago Casilla, who promptly walked Justin Upton to load the bases.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy again went to his bullpen for Javier Lopez to face Montero. Montero hit a chopper to shortstop Brandon Crawford, but he bobbled it, allowing Bloomquist to score the tying run.
Young stepped to the plate next and hit a ground ball to a charging Sandoval at third. The Giants' third baseman went for the force play at home with one out, and got the ball to Posey in plenty of time, but the young receiver did not touch the plate and Hill slid in with the deciding run.
Earlier, the Giants struck first, plating three runs in the top of the second. Posey slapped a single to left and Aubrey Huff drew a walk. Both runners touched home on a one-out double by Crawford, and Burriss brought in Crawford with an RBI groundout.
San Francisco struck again in its next at-bat for three more runs. Gregor Blanco got the inning started with a double to right and scored on a single by Sandoval two batters later. Posey then followed by blasting a Collmenter fastball over the wall in right-center field to extend the Giants' lead to 6-0.
"We beat ourselves," Bochy said. "Sure, this was a tough one, but we have to bounce back and find a way to get on track here. This is one that stings a little bit, but we have to put it behind us."
Collmenter appeared in 31 games as a rookie last season with 24 starts and produced a 10-10 record with a 3.38 ERA....Bochy was ejected in the seventh inning...The Diamondbacks begin the season 3-0 for just the second time in franchise history. They also started 3-0 in 2000...Cain threw 60 of his 97 pitches for strikes...San Francisco went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven...Game Time: 3:08.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Apr 8 7:19 PM
- Chris Young reached first on Buster Posey's missed catch error scored Aaron Hill with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Justin Upton advances to third. Bases loaded with Ryan Roberts due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 8 6:43 PM
- Miguel Montero reached first on Brandon Crawford's fielding error scored Willie Bloomquist with one out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to second and Aaron Hill advances to third. Bases loaded with Chris Young due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 8 6:38 PM
- Lyle Overbay two-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Gerardo Parra due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 8 6:03 PM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Miguel Montero. Lyle Overbay due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 8 6:03 PM
- Gerardo Parra flied out to right to end the inning.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 2 End 4Apr 8 5:28 PM
- Buster Posey one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Pablo Sandoval. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 8 4:55 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to center scored Gregor Blanco with one out. Runner on first with Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 8 4:54 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss grounded out third to first scored Brandon Crawford with two outs. None on and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 8 4:40 PM
- Brandon Crawford double to left scored Buster Posey and Aubrey Huff with one out. Runner on third and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 8 4:39 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21