Cain lifts Giants over DiamondbacksMay 13, 2012 - 3:57 AM
Cain (2-2) fanned eight and allowed three hits and two walks, while Santiago Casilla fired a scoreless ninth to record his seventh save of the season.
Melky Cabrera smacked three hits and knocked in two runs while Angel Pagan finished 3-for-3 as the Giants won at Chase Field for the first time since June 15, 2011.
Trevor Cahill (2-4) lasted 5 2/3 innings, yielding four runs on six hits and three walks to take the loss. Aaron Hill and Jason Kubel each scored a run, but Arizona saw its nine-game win streak over the Giants come to an end.
"I don't like losing," remarked Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "I think it's the way we played. We had a good win last night and we did not follow up the effort tonight."
San Francisco scored in the first without recording a hit as Gregor Blanco worked a leadoff walk and moved to third on Cahill's errant pickoff attempt. Blanco then scurried home on Brandon Belt's groundout for a 1-0 lead.
Hill ripped a leadoff triple in the third and scored two batters later on a sacrifice fly from Willie Bloomquist to knot the game at 1-1.
Cain took a line drive off his left leg off the bat of Lyle Overbay in the bottom of the fourth. Cain calmly retired Overbay to end the fourth and then scorched a single into left field to start the fifth.
"It's amazing," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy about Cain's ability to shake off Overbay's liner. "He didn't show anything."
Blanco wiped Cain off the basepaths with a fielder's choice, but he swiped second and came around to score two batters later on Cabrera's ground-rule double to make it a 2-1 contest.
Cain helped his own cause in the sixth as Emmanuel Burriss and Brandon Crawford were each hit by pitches with two outs before both came around to score on Cain's double down the right-field line to give the Giants a 4-1 edge.
Kubel launched a one-out double in the seventh and moved to third on a throwing error from Cabrera. After Hill struck out, pinch-hitter Paul Goldschmidt hit a grounder to shortstop Crawford, who fired wide of first base, allowing Kubel to score and bring the Diamondbacks within 4-2.
But San Francisco added some insurance in the ninth when Belt ripped a leadoff triple and quickly scored on Cabrera's double into right field to make it a three-run difference.
Cain improved to 11-6 in 25 career starts against the Diamondbacks...The Giants are now 2-3 on their current six-game road trip...Cahill fell to 0-3 in three home starts and lost for the first time in four career starts against the Giants...Arizona swept the Giants in three games from April 6-8.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
May 12 11:21 PM
- Melky Cabrera double to left scored Brandon Belt with none out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 12 11:05 PM
- Willie Bloomquist grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 2 End 7May 12 10:40 PM
- Matt Cain double to right scored Emmanuel Burriss and Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on second and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 12 9:52 PM
- Melky Cabrera ground-rule double to right scored Gregor Blanco with two out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 12 9:29 PM
- Willie Bloomquist sacrifice fly out to right scored Aaron Hill with two out. None on and Gerardo Parra due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 12 8:58 PM
- Brandon Belt ground out second to first scored Gregor Blanco with one out. None on and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 12 8:13 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 8:10 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21