Giants down DiamondbacksMay 13, 2012 - 11:53 PM
Barry Zito (2-1) surrendered three runs on five hits and three walks over six innings in the start, while Gregor Blanco knocked in three runs and Melky Cabrera added an RBI and four hits for the Giants, who wrapped up a six-game road trip at 3-3.
"The boys did well," remarked Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "They had some good at bats. They didn't try to do too much up there. They kept the line moving and Pill got a hold of one to help out the cause."
Joe Saunders (2-3) was tagged for six runs on 10 hits and a walk over five frames for Arizona. Jason Kubel smacked three hits and tallied two RBI, but the Diamondbacks finished 1-5 on their six-game homestand.
"It was a tough week, a tough homestand," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "We didn't play well. We didn't have very good execution, anywhere, again."
Arizona pushed a run across in the second as Ryan Roberts worked a leadoff walk and moved to second two batters later on Saunders' bunt. A.J. Pollock then walked and Kubel followed with a single into right field, scoring Roberts for a 1-0 lead.
The Giants responded in their next at-bat as Brandon Crawford launched a one- out double before moving to third on Zito's ground out. Blanco then ripped a single into right, plating Crawford to knot the game, 1-1.
Joaquin Arias and Cabrera then followed with consecutive singles and Cabrera's brought in Blanco to give the Giants a 2-1 advantage.
San Francisco added two more in the fourth as Angel Pagan and Hector Sanchez smacked consecutive singles to start the frame. An intentional walk to Crawford loaded the bases and Blanco followed two batters later with a two-run single into right field to push the margin to 4-1.
The Diamondbacks cut into the lead in the fourth as Roberts smacked a leadoff single and Pollock scored him three batters later with a double into right field. Kubel then added a double of his own to plate Pollock, bringing Arizona within 4-3.
After Cabrera reached base on a leadoff single in the fifth, Pill belted the first pitch he saw into the seats in left to extend the lead to 6-3.
In the seventh, Cabrera and Pagan each singled around a Pill strikeout before Sanchez plated Cabrera with a single to give the Giants a four-run cushion.
Zito improved to 4-8 in 17 career games (16 starts) against Arizona...San Francisco shortstop Charlie Culberson made his major league debut and notched his first big league hit with a single in the fifth...Cabrera extended his hitting-streak to 11 games.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
May 13 6:54 PM
- Hector Sanchez single to center scored Melky Cabrera with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Charles Culberson due up.
Giants 7, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 6:10 PM
- Brett Pill none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Melky Cabrera. Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 6, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 13 5:37 PM
- Jason Kubel double to right scored A.J. Pollock with two out. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 13 5:30 PM
- Gregor Blanco single to right scored Angel Pagan and Brandon Crawford with two out. On the play, Barry Zito advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 13 5:18 PM
- Melky Cabrera single to right scored Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brett Pill due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 13 5:01 PM
- Gregor Blanco single to right scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 13 4:55 PM
- Jason Kubel single to right scored Ryan Roberts with two out. On the play, A.J. Pollock advances to third. Runners on first and third and Justin Upton due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 13 4:47 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21