D-Backs slither past Brewers, take seriesMay 28, 2012 - 12:43 AM
Paul Goldschmidt launched a solo home run, while Ryan Roberts and Jason Kubel added RBI base hits for the Diamondbacks, who have won three of their last four contests and secured their first series win at home since April 6-8.
Starter Daniel Hudson, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game, allowed two runs on six hits and a walk while striking out three in five full frames.
"Overall I felt good. I kind of lost command there towards the end, but we got the win so that's the important part," said Hudson.
Bryan Shaw (1-2) earned the win after getting the final two outs in the sixth inning.
Taylor Green, Cody Ransom and Corey Hart knocked in runs with singles for the Brewers, who dropped the final two games of this series.
Jose Veras (3-2) absorbed the loss after allowing Blanco's go-ahead hit.
Trailing, 3-1, after five innings, the Diamondbacks took the lead for good with three runs in the sixth. Aaron Hill started the inning with a double into the left-center field gap and stole third. After Chris Young fanned, Kubel came up with a clutch two-out hit, ripping a single up the middle to bring home Hill to make it a 3-2 game.
Goldschmidt reached on an error by Green and Roberts followed with an RBI single into right center to tie the game at three. Blanco then plated Goldschmidt with a base hit into left.
J.J. Putz came on in the ninth for Arizona and got off to a good start by striking out Green. He walked Ransom, but got pinch-hitter Edwin Maysonet to pop out before whiffing Carlos Gomez to nail down his 11th save of the season.
"I feel we should have won this ballgame. We had chances to do it," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "If we pitch a little bit better, we get a hit or not even a hit, just a good at-bat and we win this ballgame."
Earlier, Arizona broke a scoreless deadlock in the fourth. After Young and Kubel flied out, Goldschmidt got a two-seam fastball out over the plate from Brewers starter Randy Wolf and squared it up, sending it deep and over the center field wall to give the D-Backs a 1-0 edge.
Milwaukee responded with a pair of runs in the fifth to take the lead. Green started the rally with a double into the right-center field gap and scored on a single by Ransom. Ransom, the former D-Back, moved to second on a wild pitch, and to third on a groundout by Nyjer Morgan before scoring courtesy of a single by Hart.
George Kottaras drew a one-out walk in the Milwaukee sixth and scored on a single by Green two batters later to push the advantage to 3-1.
To make room for Hudson on the roster, the Diamondbacks optioned catcher Konrad Schmidt to Triple-A Reno...Arizona improved to 5-11 in one-run games this season...Milwaukee fell to 4-11-1 in series play and 8-15 on the road this season...Wolf allowed three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and one walk over 5 2/3 innings.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
May 27 7:21 PM
- Henry Blanco single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third and Bryan Shaw due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 6:30 PM
- Ryan Roberts single to right center scored Jason Kubel with two out. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Runners on first and third and Henry Blanco due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 6:27 PM
- Jason Kubel single to center scored Aaron Hill with two out. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 6:20 PM
- Taylor Green single to right scored George Kottaras with one out. Taylor Green to second on the throw. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runners on second and third and Cody Ransom due up.
Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 27 6:00 PM
- Corey Hart single to right center scored Cody Ransom with two out. Runner on first and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 27 5:35 PM
- Cody Ransom single to center scored Taylor Green with none out. Runner on first with and Nyjer Morgan due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 1 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 27 5:26 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Ryan Roberts due up.
Brewers 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 27 5:19 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 4:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21