Zito, Giants beat DiamondbacksMay 29, 2012 - 2:12 AM
Zito (4-2) allowed just two runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out three to earn the victory. Clay Hensley finished the eighth and Santiago Casilla allowed two hits in the ninth, but recovered to record his 13th save of the season.
"I wanted to throw more strikes and let them hit it," Zito said. "I wanted to pitch to contact instead of trying to nibble. Just pouring it through the zone, putting pressure on them."
Brandon Belt went 2-for-4 with an RBI triple, while Hector Sanchez and Gregor Blanco also knocked in runs for the Giants.
Justin Upton ripped an RBI double and John McDonald laced a pinch-hit solo homer for the D-backs, who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped.
Trevor Cahill (2-5) was saddled with the loss after allowing four runs on eight hits and two walks with five strikeouts over six-plus innings.
The Giants jumped on top early, plating three runs in the first inning. Blanco opened the frame with a double and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Brandon Crawford. Angel Pagan walked to put runners on the corners and, with Sanchez at the plate, the Giants executed a perfect double steal which allowed Blanco to score. Sanchez then ripped a single into right to score Pagan and Belt laced a triple into the alley in right-center to bring in Sanchez.
Emmanuel Burriss opened the Giants' second at-bat with a single, advanced to second on a sac-bunt by Zito and scored on a double by Blanco to extend the San Francisco lead to four.
Cahill and Willie Bloomquist hit back-to-back singles in the Arizona fourth and Cahill came around to score on a ground-rule double by Upton to cut the deficit to three.
McDonald led off the Diamondbacks eighth by crushing a 1-2 fastball from Zito over the wall in left to make it 4-2.
Casilla allowed back-to-back base hits to Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Young. Miguel Montero struck out of the second out of the inning and Ryan Roberts came up as the last hope for Arizona. He launched a fly ball deep into right field which got Blanco turned around, but he recovered to make an over-the- shoulder catch to end the game.
"We've had some pressure and seen some better at-bats, we had our opportunities today," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "We hit some balls hard, right at guys, but if you play better baseball, it doesn't make much of a difference. It should have been a different ball game."
The Giants have won seven of their last 10 games at home and improved to 9-9 against the NL West this season..Gibson celebrated his 55th birthday on Monday...Arizona fell to 6-7 all-time on Memorial Day and 10-7 in day games this season...D-Backs outfielder Jason Kubel had a five-game RBI streak snapped...San Francisco went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 28 7:48 PM
- Pinch-Hitter John McDonald lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 4 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 28 7:16 PM
- Justin Upton ground-rule doubled to left scoring Trevor Cahill with two out. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 4 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 28 5:56 PM
- Gregor Blanco doubled to left center scoring Emmanuel Burriss with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Crawford due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 28 5:42 PM
- Brandon Belt tripled to right scoring Hector Sanchez with two out. Runner on third and Joaquin Arias due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 5:25 PM
- Hector Sanchez singled to right scoring Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on first and Brandon Belt due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 5:24 PM
- With Hector Sanchez batting, Gregor Blanco scored on a steal at home with two out. On the play, Angel Pagan stole second. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez at the plate.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 5:24 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 5:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21