Goldschmidt, D-backs slug past CubsJun 24, 2012 - 6:44 AM
Goldschmidt and Justin Upton both hit solo homers and led five Diamondbacks players with two RBI apiece in the team's fourth win in five games.
"There's a lot of good things we did today in that game," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "We're kind of getting back on track"
Chicago starter Paul Maholm hit a two-run homer, but gave up seven runs -- six earned -- in just 3 1/3 innings as the Cubs lost their third game in a row to fall to 6-15 in June.
"I made pitches when I had to early and just didn't there in the last couple of hitters that I faced," Maholm said.
The Diamondbacks won the opener of this three-game series 6-1 on Friday even after starter Joe Saunders was scratched just minutes before the game. Their starter Saturday didn't last very long, either.
Ian Kennedy had a 7-2 lead going into the fifth but didn't make it out of the inning. He was charged with five runs on 10 hits and a walk in 4 1/3 frames.
Maholm (4-6) remained winless in his last eight starts. The lefty, who turns 30 Monday, gave up nine hits and three walks, coming out during Arizona's six- run fourth.
His second career homer and first since 2009 gave the Cubs a 2-1 lead in the fourth, but Arizona came back with six runs in the bottom of the inning to chase the Cubs starter.
Ryan Roberts sparked the rally with a leadoff single and a steal of second base. He scored the first run from third on an Aaron Hill grounder that ate up third baseman Luis Valbuena, who then threw wide to first as everyone was safe.
Upton added an RBI single, Jason Kubel had a two-run base hit and another run scored on Goldschmidt's triple into the right field corner. Miguel Montero's RBI single capped the rally to make it 7-2 and chase Maholm.
The Cubs came right back with three runs in the fifth. Alfonso Soriano led off with a single, Geovany Soto drew a one-out walk and both runners scored on Steve Clevenger's double to chase Kennedy. Clevenger later came home on Jeff Baker's single off Craig Breslow (2-0) to get the Cubs within 7-5.
Arizona got one of the runs back in the sixth when Goldschmidt homered to right-center off Scott Maine, his 10th of the season.
Hill made it 9-5 with an RBI single in the seventh to score Willie Bloomquist, who had doubled, and Goldschmidt doubled and scored on Montero's single in the eighth.
Earlier, Upton hit his seventh homer of the season at the end of an eight- pitch at-bat leading off the third inning to give Arizona a 1-0 lead.
Kennedy retired the first two batters in the fourth before Adrian Cardenas singled and Maholm launched a first-pitch fastball into the right field seats for a 2-1 Cubs lead.
The Diamondbacks placed Saunders on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a strained left shoulder. The move is retroactive to June 17. They recalled pitcher Jonathan Albaladejo from Triple-A Reno to take his spot...Maholm's last win was May 9 against Atlanta. He is 0-4 in his last eight starts.
- CHICAGO: 5
Jun 24 1:42 AM
- Miguel Montero single to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with none out. Runner on first and Chris Young due up.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 24 1:23 AM
- Aaron Hill single to left scored Willie Bloomquist with two out. Runner on first and Justin Upton due up.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 24 1:04 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Miguel Montero due up.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 24 12:44 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jeff Baker single to center scored Steve Clevenger with two out. Runner on first and David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 24 12:16 AM
- Steve Clevenger double to right scored Alfonso Soriano and Geovany Soto with one out. Runner on second and Adrian Cardenas due up.
Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 7 Top 5, 1 OutJun 24 12:10 AM
- Miguel Montero single to center scored Paul Goldschmidt with one out. Runner on first and Chris Young due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 11:50 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt triple to right scored Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on third and Miguel Montero due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 11:48 PM
- Jason Kubel single to right scored Aaron Hill and Justin Upton with one out. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 11:47 PM
- Justin Upton single to center scored Willie Bloomquist with one out. On the play, Justin Upton advanced to second as Aaron Hill advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Kubel due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 11:46 PM
- Aaron Hill reached first on Luis Valbuena's throwing error that scored Ryan Roberts with one out. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Upton due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 11:43 PM
- Paul Maholm two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Adrian Cardenas. David DeJesus due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 23 11:25 PM
- Justin Upton lead-off Home Run (7) to left center. Jason Kubel due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 23 11:13 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 10:10 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21