Eovaldi, Herrera help Dodgers top DiamondbacksJul 6, 2012 - 5:10 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Nathan Eovaldi threw six innings for his first win of the year and Elian Herrera clubbed his first major league homer, as the Dodgers beat Arizona, 4-1, to start a four-game series.
Scott Van Slyke also went deep for the NL West leaders, who have won three in a row.
Eovaldi (1-5) scattered five hits and gave up a run to post just his second major league triumph. The 22-year-old right-hander posted a win in his first career appearance, Aug. 6, 2011, but was winless over his next 16 outings.
Scott Elbert and Ronald Belisario each threw a perfect inning and Kenley Jansen struck out the side to earn his 15th save.
The Dodgers, who lost seven in a row from June 24-30, are 1 1/2 games ahead of the Giants in the division.
"We're just scratching for every win we can get now. We regrouped a little and have kind of been able to pitch good," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We're getting the pitching, now we're able to put a few runs up."
Stephen Drew knocked in the lone run for the Diamondbacks, losers of a season- high six in a row.
Wade Miley (9-5) was charged with eight hits and four runs over 6 2/3 frames to have his four-start home winning streak snapped.
"I left some balls up, I just wasn't executing pitches, missing up in the zone, trying to go away and the ball comes back over the plate. They were making me pay," Miley said.
Mark Ellis doubled with one out in the first and Jerry Hairston Jr. singled. Juan Rivera kept the hit parade going with a double down the left field line, and Luis Cruz lined a single into right for a 2-0 advantage.
"It's such a long season, we've had so many injuries, so many different guys coming in, trying to get that chemistry, that gel together," Ellis said. "I know baseball is a little different sport, so many guys in and out of the lineup, it was bound to happen at some point and hopefully we can get over that now, get over that hump and continue to play good baseball the rest of the way."
Drew's base hit to right plated Paul Goldschmidt in the second, but the Diamondbacks stranded a runner at third when Miley grounded out on a diving stop by Hairston at third.
Van Slyke homered to left in the fourth and Herrera went deep to left in the seventh, the final batter for Miley.
"He wasn't locating the way he was trying to locate," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Miley. "I left him out there one guy too much."
Dodgers shortstop Dee Gordon, who leads the majors in steals, is expected to miss the next six weeks due to a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right thumb. He was put on the 15-day disabled list and will have surgery on Friday...The Dodgers replaced Gordon on the roster by activating right-handed reliever Javy Guerra from the 15-day DL...The Diamondbacks had their club- record 15-game streak with a homer broken...Arizona second baseman Aaron Hill had his 19-game home hitting streak snapped....LA has won four of the six matchups this season...The Dodgers ended a four-game road skid.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Jul 6 12:25 AM
- Elian Herrera two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 5 11:38 PM
- Scott Van Slyke two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 3, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 5 10:45 PM
- Stephen Drew singled to right scored Paul Goldschmidt. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Wade Miley due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 5 10:22 PM
- Luis Cruz singled to right scored Jerry Hairston Jr.. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 5 9:48 PM
- Juan Rivera doubled to left scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Jerry Hairston Jr. advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 5 9:46 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 9:40 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21