Dempster, Cubs down DiamondbacksJul 14, 2012 - 11:34 PM
Dempster tossed six shutout innings and became the first Cub to hurl 33 straight scoreless innings since Ken Holtzman in 1969, helping Chicago to a 4-1 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle installment of a three- game set.
Dempster (5-3) fanned five, scattered four hits and walked three for Chicago, which has won four of its last five contests. The Canadian hasn't given up a run since May 30 and has won five straight starts.
"Like I said before, I am well aware of things going on, rumors and things like that," Dempster said. "But I'm a member of the Chicago Cubs and I'm trying to do my best job for this team."
He threw 89 pitches in his second outing since being sidelined with right lat tightness.
Luis Valbuena registered a pair of hits, an RBI and a run scored, while Reed Johnson and Geovany Soto each racked up two hits apiece.
Joe Saunders (4-6) was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits for the D-backs, who have dropped eight of their past 11 games. Saunders had been on the disabled list since June 23 with tightness in his left shoulder.
Arizona made things a bit interesting against Carlos Marmol in the top of the ninth after Stephen Drew doubled and Chris Young walked.
But Johnson made a fine catch at the wall in right-center to retire Geoff Blum, and Marmol then induced Jason Kubel into a game-ending 3-6-1 double play to notch his ninth save of the season.
The Cubs tallied a run in the third, a pair in the fourth and another in the sixth to jump out to a 4-0 advantage.
Starlin Castro recorded an RBI single in the third to make it 1-0, while Darwin Barney smacked a run-scoring double and Valbuena added an RBI single to extend to margin to 3-0.
Barney grounded into a double play in the sixth to plate Jeff Baker, who reached on an error, giving the Cubs a 4-0 cushion.
Chris Young belted a solo homer to center in the seventh to account for the final margin.
"We scored two runs in Wrigley Field in two days," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "That's not what we expect to do. We got to do better than that."
Chicago was 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base, while Arizona finished 0-for-5 with RISP and stranded eight...Young's homer was his ninth of the year...Prior to the game, Arizona optioned left- handed pitcher Patrick Corbin to Triple-A Reno.
- ARIZONA: 1
Jul 14 3:45 PM
- Chris Young one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left center. Geoff Blum due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Cubs 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 14 3:02 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Jeff Baker. Geovany Soto out at second. None on with two outs and Luis Valbuena due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 14 2:56 PM
- Luis Valbuena singled to center scored Darwin Barney. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Dempster due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 14 2:22 PM
- Darwin Barney doubled to left scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on second with two outs and Luis Valbuena due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 14 2:21 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short, scored Luis Valbuena. Reed Johnson out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 14 1:58 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 1:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21