Dickey earns 14th win as Mets down D-backsJul 30, 2012 - 1:21 AM
The knuckleballer tossed seven innings of one-run ball and the New York Mets downed the Arizona Diamondbacks, 5-1, in the finale of a four-game set.
Dickey (14-2) fanned eight, scattered four hits, walked three and surrendered an unearned run. He was 1-1 with a 6.49 earned run average in July coming into the contest and had allowed eight-or-more hits in each of his last four starts.
"I just kept telling myself to stay with it. It (knuckleball) was pretty good," said Dickey, who experienced bouts of nausea during the game. "I felt like I had a pretty good knuckleball the whole nine (innings)."
Scott Hairston knocked in a pair of runs for New York, which won for only the third time in its last 17 games.
Joe Saunders (5-7) was charged with four runs on eight hits and three walks in seven innings for Arizona, which has dropped three of its last five on the heels of a five-game winning streak.
"You tip your hat to Dickey, he pretty much baffled us all day," Saunders said.
The Mets jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the opening frame as David Wright ripped an RBI double off the base of the wall in right-center and Hairston blooped a run-scoring double down the right field line.
New York doubled its advantage after plating a run in the fifth and another in the sixth.
Wright led off the fifth with a walk, stole second and came home on Hairston's single to left, while David Murphy's two-out RBI double to left in the sixth made it 4-0.
Dickey, who gave up just a hit through the first five frames, ran into a bit of trouble in the home sixth.
Aaron Hill reached on an infield single with one out and advanced to second on Ruben Tejada's throwing error at shortstop. He scampered to third on a passed ball during Jason Kubel's at-bat, who struck out, and scored on Paul Goldschmidt's liner into center.
Miguel Montero then walked, which brought the tying run to the plate in Chris Young, but Dickey fanned him for the third time to keep it a 4-1 game.
The Mets got the run back in the seventh on Josh Thole's RBI double to left, increasing the margin to 5-1.
Wright's double was his 31st of the season...The Mets were 4-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base, while the D-backs finished 1-for-6 and stranded seven...Time of Game: 2:39.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jul 29 6:49 PM
- Josh Thole doubled to left scoring Andres Torres with none out. Runner on second and R.A. Dickey due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 29 6:14 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt singled to center scoring Aaron Hill with two out. Runner on first and Miguel Montero due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 5:51 PM
- Daniel Murphy doubled to left scoring Andres Torres with two out. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to third. Runners on second and third and David Wright due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 29 5:41 PM
- Scott Hairston singled to left scoring David Wright with one out. Scott Hairston advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 29 5:24 PM
- Scott Hairston doubled to right scoring David Wright with one out. Runner on second and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 29 4:16 PM
- David Wright doubled to right scoring Daniel Murphy with one out. Runner on second and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 29 4:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 4:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21