Kubel powers Arizona past PittsburghAug 10, 2012 - 3:28 AM
Wil Nieves also hit a two-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who went 6-4 on a 10-game road trip. It was Arizona's first winning road trip since May 14-20.
Arizona starter Joe Saunders (6-8) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits over seven innings. He struck out three and did not issue a walk.
Michael McKenry, Jordy Mercer and Starling Marte each had an RBI for the Pirates.
Wandy Rodriguez (7-11) allowed four runs on seven hits over six innings to take the loss. He fell to 0-2 as a member of the Pirates.
Kubel's first homer of the game came in the first inning. Aaron Hill hit a one-out double and scored on Kubel's blast to right.
Pittsburgh responded with three runs in the second to take the lead. Gaby Sanchez and Neil Walker hit back-to-back singles to put men on the corners. McKenry followed with an RBI single to left. The runners advanced to second and third on Travis Snider's groundout. Mercer's sacrifice fly tied the game. Rodriguez then hit a grounder that deflected off the leg of Saunders and went to first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. Saunders covered first but missed the bag with his foot, allowing Rodriguez to reach and McKenry to go to third. Marte's RBI single to right put Pittsburgh up, 3-2.
"I was making pretty good pitches. They were still finding holes," Saunders said. "I just kept telling myself, 'Hey, keep making good pitches and keep pounding the strike zone and it's going to start going your way.' I'm going to try to stay as positive as I could."
The Diamondbacks scored two runs in the sixth and seventh to take the lead back. In the sixth, Chris Johnson singled and scored on Nieves' blast to left.
"I hung a breaking pitch [to Nieves] and he hits it for a home run. I feel bad," Rodriguez said.
In the seventh, Jared Hughes gave up an infield single to Hill. Kubel followed with a homer to center to make it a 6-3 contest.
David Hernandez and J.J. Putz tossed a scoreless eighth and ninth, respectively, to seal the victory.
The Pirates went 4-3 against the Diamondbacks this season...Diamondbacks shortstop Willie Bloomquist missed the game with back stiffness...Rodriguez was dealt to Pittsburgh in a July 24 deal that sent three minor-leaguers to Houston. He fell to 3-6 in nine career starts against Arizona...McKenry extended his hitting streak to nine games...Putz picked up his 21st save of the season.
- ARIZONA: 6
Aug 9 7:02 PM
- Jason Kubel one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (25) to left center scored Aaron Hill. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Pirates 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 9 6:03 PM
- Wil Nieves two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Chris Johnson. Joe Saunders due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 3 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 9 5:45 PM
- Starling Marte singled to right scored Michael McKenry. On the play, Wandy Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Harrison due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 9 4:44 PM
- Jordy Mercer sacrifice fly out to center scored Neil Walker. Runner on second with two outs and Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 9 4:40 PM
- Michael McKenry singled to left scored Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Travis Snider due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 9 4:36 PM
- Jason Kubel one-out, two-run Home Run (24) to right scored Aaron Hill. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 9 4:11 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 4:08 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21